Chapter 29

A/N: Hi! So this chapter was a pain to get up because somehow it got deleted from my computer and I had to try and rewrite it from memory the best I could in a relatively reasonable amount of time. So please bear with me if there are any grammatical issues because I haven't really had time to proofread this.  But yeah, here it is and thanks for reading!!! :) xoxo

This morning as I get ready for work I feel particularly exhausted. I didn't get the best night's sleep and I can feel the effects of that on my body. Everything is about ten times more difficult than it needs to be. I find myself dropping things and even losing my balance as I pull on my work uniform. But by some miracle I manage to get ready on time.

As I tug a jacket over my shoulders, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror that hangs by my door. I look drained. Sighing, I slip my feet into a pair of shoes. At least my appearance matches the way that I feel, I think to myself clinically as I head out the door.

Once I'm at work, I stand in front of my cubby as I deposit my belongings inside of it. Out if the corner of my eye I can see someone standing a few feet away from me, staring. With a sigh, I raise my eyes to meet their gaze. I see that it's one of the new hostesses, I think her name is Martha. She twirls a strand of her perfectly curled blonde hair around her finger as she studies me with her blue eyes.

"What?" I ask, confused.

She smiles at me but I can tell that it isn't genuine. "Hi! So I'm going to need you to cover for me today, something came up." She looks at me expectantly, waiting for me to agree.

"Sure, whatever," I reply with a shrug, frankly disinterested and mildly annoyed with her.

"Aw, thanks! You're a doll!" She reaches out and pats me on the shoulder before turning on her heel and prancing away. Rolling my eyes, I tie my work apron around my waist before heading out into the restaurant and to the hostess podium.

The day goes by pretty quickly, a few people coming in here and there and I seat them at open tables. But once dinner time comes around it gets a lot busier. The tables all start filling up until there's no more room, and I have to start putting people on the waiting list. For the most part everyone is polite about it, but that changes as the next few people come in.

It's a group of four older men, all dressed in expensive looking clothing. The tallest one, at least six foot five, marches up to the podium, resting his elbow on the top.

"Hey there darlin'," he begins, flashing me a smile. "Got a table for four?" I already know that we don't because the place is full, but I pretend to check the list in front of me anyways.

"Unfortunately it's going to be about a twenty five minute wait," I try to say in my friendly work voice. The man's smile immediately twists into a scowl. I watch as he reaches into his jacket pocket, fishing out a ten dollar bill and holding it out to me. I just stare at it.

"Got a table now?" He asks more sternly. I bite my lip and shake my head, getting a sinking feeling in my stomach as I realize where this is going.

"I'm sorry sir, but there's nothing I can do about it."