31- Steaks

"Remember that chicken mushroom thing that we made?" Jasper wonders randomly on Thursday night.

I nod and then laugh a little bit at the memory of our little food fight dinner when we moved in to the apartment. "We are not doing that again."

"I'm not saying that we should," He defends. "But it didn't turn out that bad so we could do something like that. Like, we could make steak or something."

"You want steak?"

"I do. Just me and you, let's make steak," Jasper says, standing up from the couch where he's sitting beside me. "I'll look up some recipe on the internet and we can go get the ingredients at the store down the street and it'll be delicious."

"Is there a special occasion?" I wonder but I follow him, grabbing a sweater before we leave the apartment to go to the store because Jasper wants a steak.

"Not really but you're not with Scott and I'm not with Conner tonight, so we should do something just you and me, for fun," He explains to me as we get in the truck.

"Okay then," I agree with him. "Let's cook steaks then, weirdo."

"I'm glad you see things my way, now look up how to cook steaks because I have no idea how," Jasper tells me once he's on the road. "Maybe something with peppercorn, that sounds good."

"Just steak? If you want a fancy dinner, we can go all out with like, I don't know something else that's fancy. Green beans or something like that," I suggest.

"Green beans aren't fancy, Jo," Jasper tells me with a small laugh. "What about truffle macaroni and cheese?"

"Do you really think that we can pull that off?" I ask him with raised eyebrows. "Truffles sound fancy."

"I think it's just mac and cheese but you just add truffle oil," He tells me with a clueless shrug. "It's just fancier than normal mac and cheese because you put the word truffle on there. I have no idea, just look it up."

"Okay, okay, Mr. Bossy-pants," I chuckle as I pull my phone out and pull up Google to look up how to cook truffle mac and cheese although I'm sure no matter how easy it is to make, we're going to mess it up and it'll be a disaster. Oh well, though, our food adventures are always interesting, I'll give them that. "We'll figure it out."

"That's the spirit," He chirps.

When we get to the grocery store, Jasper helps me pick out a good recipe for the mac and cheese and then we go in to the store and find all of the ingredients that we need and then we go to the meat area and try to find the right type of steak although we have no idea what we are doing so we have no idea what kind of steak to really buy. Of course, Jasper looks it up online and we go for what looks the closest to the picture.

"Okay, so we both want our steaks medium rare," Jasper says as we start looking for the seasoning or whatever to cook the steak with.

"So we'll probably get them well done before we realize that we've overcooked the steaks," I joke, stepping onto the cart and pushing myself forward and gliding down the aisle.

"You know, your distrust in me is a bit disheartening," Jasper tells me with a laugh. "We won't burn the steaks."

"And you know that because we're such talented chefs?" I raise my eyebrows at him. "Have you even ever cooked a steak, Jas?"

"It can't be that hard."

"That's what you said about the chicken and then it came out without any crust," I remind him.