12

12

"Ana?"

I cracked my eyes open, wincing as sunlight assaulted my eye sight.

I blinked a few times then squinted, looking up to see who had found me.

Alison was frowning down at me, her blue eyes full of concern.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Ana, what're you doing on the floor?"

My pounded so bad that I could barely hear her.

I looked at her, confused.

"Huh?"

"I said, what're you doing on the floor, sweetie?"

I bit my lip and lied: "I don't know."

Her frowned deepened and I expected her to call me out on my lie, but she didn't.

Instead, she said: "Well, clean yourself up and come to the living room. Someone is here to see you."

I nodded and watched her leave.

I threw on a clean shirt and brushed my hair then left my room and walked to the living room, wondering who in the world was there to see me.

I knew it wasn't my parents.

They were probably still recovering from the anniversary of Kyle's death.

And Mel had school, today was a Thursday.

But who I saw waiting for me in the living room was the one person I never would have guessed.

My brother's ex-girlfriend smiled at me, her smile as dazzling as ever.

She had always treated me well, even after Kyle broke up with her, two weeks prior to his suicide.

Her sandy blonde hair was pulled up in a ponytail and her honey eyes held a sad look in them.

"Hi, Ana."

"Cindi... hi."

My eyes were still wide from shock as she pulled me into a tight hug.

I mechanically wrapped my arms around her and buried my face in her shoulder.

I remembered that she smelled like cinnamon, but now she smelled like detergent and something else sweet that I couldn't identify.

She whispered in my ear: "I've missed you, Ana."

Something inside of me melted and I collapsed against her.

There was something about the familiarity of her hug, her smile, her voice, that had made me weak and vulnerable all of a sudden.

She laughed lightly and sat on the couch, tugging me next to her.

I blushed slightly in embarrassment as I asked: "How'd you know I was here?"

"Your parents told me yesterday when I went to see them."

I nodded slowly and fidgeted some.

"Cindi... why'd you come and see me?"

She sighed and looked down at her hands.

She looked as guilty as I felt about Kyle.

Finally she looked up and said: "Because you deserve some real answers."

My ears perked up at this and I leaned close.

"What do you mean?"

She looked around then leaned close too and told me in a quiet voice: "There's more to the story about Kyle, Ana."