17

17

It turned out, planning for the trip was the most exhausting and boring part.

The rest of that day was spent tossing clothes into backpacks and anything else we needed.

In the midst of packing, Gordon asked me a sudden question: "Are you going to be okay without your meds, Ana?"

I rolled my eyes and dug deep into the bottom of my bag.

I found what I was looking for then tossed it to him.

He inspected the orange bottle that was full of my old pills that did the job, but they wouldn't let me use here.

He frowned and threw it back to me, but didn't say anymore.

After dinner and packing, we gathered in Shane's room where we discussed the plan, then went off to bed.

The next morning I woke up, feeling excited and anxious all at the same time.

Butterflies fluttered through my stomach as I tugged on a black sweater.

Rose waited for me in the hall, wearing the same stupid grin on her face as me.

The four of us barely ate anything at breakfast, too nervous to actually eat.

By the time that we were actually in the city, we were all jittery with nerves but smiling wide.

As soon as we were let loose, finally allowed to roam around the city, we let out a breath of relief.

We all handed our money over of to Rose, who was responsible for renting the car then meeting us at the Walmart that was downtown.

"I'm kind of scared we'll get caught."

Gordon and I looked at Shane, startled.

We were on our way to Walmart, our form of transportation being our feet.

Probably not the fastest way but definitely the most discrete way.

I tilted my head and said: "Don't be scared, Shane. It's going to be fun. Think about having fun instead."

He nodded then we fall back into silence.

It remained that way until Rose pulled up in a red mini van.

None of us could contain our laughter at the vehicle that we would be using.

As we all got in, Shane joked: "We're all soccer mom's now!"

This sent all of us spiraling into laughter again while Rose grumbled about how this was the only car she could get.

Seeing that I had claimed the passenger seat, I leaned forward and turned on the radio.

A metal song began to blare through the speakers and I grinned, head banging along to the beat.

Shane's eyes widened and he lunged forward to change the station but Gordon wrestled him back to the backseat.

"Guys! How can you stand this?"

I shrugged, slapping Rose's hand away from the knob, glaring at her.

Gordon shoved Shane's head and said: "It's good music."

Shane shook his head and muttered something about how Gordon and I were insane.

I nodded, pursing my lips and said: "We're all insane, Shaney."

Rose chuckled and shook her head.

I giggled and exchanged glances with Gordon before screaming the lyrics of the song that was coming through the speakers.

Gordon laughed as Shane groaned loudly and covered his ears.