epilogue

epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

"Ana! Hurry up! If you take any longer, I'm leaving you!"

I rolled my eyes at Rose and finished tying the bandanna around my head then walked out by her.

She was sitting on our couch, her red hair falling around her face in a sleek wave.

She'd given up on trying to tame her curls recently and left them alone, which Shane loved.

She looked gorgeous (as always) in a white lace crop top and faded light blue high waisted skirt.

Once she saw me, she stood up and smiled.

"You look great, banana."

I rolled my eyes and smoothed down my tank top.

The tank top was dark red and had been cut by me so it stopped right above my belly button.

I had paired it with a white bandanna that I was using as a headband and ripped jean shorts.

"Let's just go before Gordon and Shane kill us."

Rose and I hooked arms and walked out.

We took the subway but still ended up being at least 20 minutes late.

Shane and Gordon were waiting outside of the Starbucks next to their car, wearing mildly impatient, annoyed looks.

They both looked nice.

Gordon was wearing a white shirt with a red flannel and ripped jeans even though it was the beginning of July.

Shane was wearing a light blue t-shirt and white cargo shorts.

I snorted.

He had to know that his shorts were going to be ruined by the end of the night, right?

Shane spotted us first and said: "It took you long enough. You know we're going to be late now, right?"

Rose rolled her eyes and retorted: "At least we'll be fashionably late. Unlike my very unstylish boyfriend."

Shane gaped at her, glancing down at his selection of clothing which in my opinion looked fine.

Before I could even make a snide remark about my boyfriend, he wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me against him.

I smiled up at him: "Hey."

He smiled back at me and kissed my nose.

"Hey, beautiful."

I blushed and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

I punched his shoulder lightly and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Stop flirting with me and get in the car."

I ducked away from him and crawled into the backseat.

Rose escaped from Shane's arm and joined me in the back, throwing herself on top of me.

I let out an "oof" and tried to push her off.

We may have been a year older, but we had forgotten to mature.

The boys rolled their eyes at us but Gordon started driving and Shane leaned back in the passenger seat.

It wasn't often we took the time to make the trip to see my parents who lived hours away, but considering today was the 4th of July and there was a party, we decided we should visit.

We'd most likely be spending the night but that was typical for us.

We were usually too lazy to drive back the next day.