Chapter 9

“Seasons are changing and waves are crashing and stars are falling all for us, days grow longer and nights grow shorter, I can show you I'll be the one. I will never let you fall; I'll stand up with you forever. I'll be there for you through it all, even if saving you sends me to heaven. Cause you're my true love, my whole heart, please don't throw that away.”

Here I was serenading Allie underneath the vibrant stars, sitting in the course sand of the deserted playground. All the while I was wishing it was my Angel I was singing to on this perfect night.

“Red Jumpsuit Apparatus?” Allie asked raising an eyebrow as I finish the last chord on my new guitar.

“Yeah…One of my favorite songs.” I shrugged.

She giggled as she lay back onto the sand and stared up at the beautiful night sky. “I would have thought one of your own songs would have been your favorite. But I like that song too. You sounded beautiful pretty boy. You have an extraordinary talent. Your voice is so soft and just perfect.”

“Na. I don’t like my songs. They just don’t sound right. I’ve been working on a song for Gabriella for a while now and that’s the only one I’m partial to. And thanks. I don’t have the greatest voice out there but thanks for saying that, I appreciate it.”

“Don’t be so modest Cayden, you have talent. Enough said. Just smile and say thanks. You need more self-esteem. You truly have a wonderful voice and you’re an amazing person. Give yourself some credit. Stop putting yourself down.”

I flashed her a smile. “Thanks.” Chuckling I laid back into the sand beside her. “That better?”

“Much.”

“So now what?”

“I’ve got to get home soon but I need to run to the store first.” She replied.

“Want me to drive you Shorty?”

“No I’m good. But I’ll be seeing you soon. Take care ok pretty boy?” She said as she got up and dusted the sand off her shorts and bare legs.

“I will. Have a good night Shorty.” I watched as she walked away and tried to ignore the loneliness that spread throughout as she walked out of sight. She sure has brightened my day and now she’s gone. I’m glad to have met her. She is a wonderful friend. I can see why Gabriella is best friends with her. I never took the time last year to get to know anyone of Gabriella’s new friends…I really should have tried harder and made friends with them. Then maybe I wouldn’t be wallowing in self-pity when I’m left alone.

My phone buzzing in my back pocket pulled me out of my thoughts. Looking at the ID I flipped it open and mumbled a hello.

“Hey bro. How are you holding up?” Codi’s loud voice blasted through the speaker.

“I’m cool. Just doing my own thing. How are things back there in LA?”

“Dude Mr. Rope went apeshit when Taylor called him to tell him we all quit the band.” He chuckled.

“Oh I bet. He probably thinks it’s all my fault.”

“Na man, it’s cool. We all wanted this. If we didn’t we still woulda been in a band.”

“So found a new chick yet?” I asked thinking of Allie.

“Na. They all gold digging bimbos. I’m not into that crap.” He muttered.

“I have a chick you might like. Petite, short black hair, pretty eyes, rad bod, and genuinely real and not out for money. Names Allie, she’s nineteen.”

“Sounds like a catch. Hook a brother up Cay!” He exclaimed making me pull the phone away from my ear so I didn’t go deaf.

“Alright, drive down some day this week when you have the free time and I’ll introduce you two. She just got out of a long term relationship so I don’t know if she’s looking to jump right into another one but I don’t think she would complain if you two took the time to just get to know each other as friends first.”

“Sounds like a plan bro. I’ll call you and let you know when I’ll be there. Later.”

“Later C-Lee.” I chuckled as he swore at me and then hung up, for calling him by the nickname his mom uses.

Slipping my phone back into my pocket I pulled out my keys and headed off towards my car and made my way home.

Walking up the driveway I noticed a brown box sitting in front of my door. There was a small note attached. Pulling off the note I opened the box and the most hideous mutated cat peeped its head out. The thing was mangy looking with orange and white fur and some evil looking black eyes. Picking it up I turned him around to check him out, he hissed and then began purring. This thing is definitely bipolar.

Picking up the note I quickly looked over it. *Cayden, I told you I was getting you a cat. He’s a little on the crazy side so I thought he would be perfect for you. I think you two will get along great! Now you have something to talk to that actually is a living thing. His name is Hades. Enclosed in the box is everything you need for him. –Allie*

“Ok Hades let’s get you inside and set you up.” I said as Hades hissed and made himself comfortable in my arms. I can see why she named him Hades…

********************************************************************

“Awe Hades are you serious? Do you know how much that thing cost me!” That damn mangy thing just turned its head and waltz off like he owned the place. Who does he think he is? Chewing up my brand new Ipad. I think Allie and I are going to have some words later.

A loud knocking stopped me from chasing after that demented thing called a cat. Swinging open the front door I was met with those beautiful eyes I thought I wouldn’t be seeing again. “Hey Angel.”

She shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other, clenching and unclenching her fist…A telltale sign she was nervous. “Uh…Hey Cay…I just wanted to come by and let you know that I…I am heading back to LA today.”

“So soon?”

“Yeah, Bradin is getting lonely without me there and I need to get back to work. I only took off two days.”

“Oh…ok. Do you want to come in for a bit?” I held the door open wider and gestured for her to come in.

She shook her head. “Um no thanks, not today. I’ve got to get going.”

“Well I guess I’ll see you around then?” Why does it feel like we are saying goodbye for good…

“Yeah see you. Bye Cayden.” She whispered as she turned and began to walk down the driveway.

“Bye Angel…” I muttered as I walked back inside.

“Cayden!” She yelled making me stop and stand still. Her pounding footsteps echoed as she ran back up the driveway. Turning around I faced her and gave her a questioning look.

“I…I um…” She stuttered and then flung herself at me holding me tight against her, stepping up on her toes she pressed a soft kiss to my cheek instantly spreading warmth throughout me, causing my heart to hammer. I wonder if she can hear my heart beating for her… “I love you Cayden.” She wiped a stray tear and resumed her walk back down the driveway with not another glance.

Finally after the shock passed I was able to move. “I love you Gabriella.” I whispered but she never heard because she was already gone.