Chapter Two

I woke up to the sun shining and the birds chirping. I sat up in Micahs bed and looked over to see him still sleeping on the floor. I looked over to the alarm clock and it showed six-fifty five, he'd be up at seven surely since school starts at eight and it took thirty minutes to walk to school.

I got up out of bed and stepped out of Micahs room and into the bathroom, carrying my bag of clothes with me.

I hopped into the shower and felt the warmth of it running down my back.

I stepped out of the shower and threw on my clothes and put some black eye liner along with some black eye shadow.

Stepping out of the bathroom I ran into Micah and smiled down at me.

"Sleep okay? " he asked still a little sleepy.

"Yea I've Sept better than I have in weeks." I replied and returned the smile.

"Go ahead and go down stairs and make yourself at home. Get whatever you would like for breakfast." He said.

I stepped out of his way so he could enter the bathroom and get ready. I stepped down the stairs and went to the kitchen finding Micahs mom cooking eggs and sausage.

"Good morning Eva. How did you sleep him." She asked as she turned and looked at me giving me a warm smile.

"I slept great, thank you Mrs?"

"It's Gail dear just call me Gail and it would be Miss. Micahs father ran out on me after Micah was a year old."

"Oh I'm sorry." I replied.

"Its fine it's better off that way. Why do your parents fight?" She asked me.

"Oh umm Steve isn't my father. He's just my mom's boyfriend for a week. He's probably already gone and my mom will find someone else this weekend at the bars. She won't be home until Monday Night and as for my father... well.. he's in prison." I replied looking down.

"Oh hun I'm so sorry. Why don't you stay here this weekend? I'm sure Micah would enjoy your company." She said and not pushing the issue on my parents.

"Thanks, I would like that if it won't be a bother."

"Of course not silly, why would I invite you if it was going to be a burden? Will you get out three plates and three glasses?" She asked as she pulled the pan from the stove and pointed at the cabinet with the dishes.

I got the plates out and put them around the round table. There was four chairs with wheels on them. We didn't even have a table.. or chairs for that matter.

"There's milk and orange juice in the fridge, would you mind pouring me some milk and Micah some orange juice and yourself which ever you prefer while I dish out the food?" Gail asked still smiling her warm smile.

I got out the milk and orange juice, I didn't mind helping out, after all She was welcoming me into her home.

Micah had come down and we began to eat. I don't think my mom had ever cooked me anything like this, just oatmeal or frozen dinner meals. Mrs. Shannon would cook for me from time to time but mostly she just had meals brought to her that she paid for.

"We better get going if we are going to make it on time. " I said to Micah.

"Don't worry about it my mom will give us a ride. The only reason she couldn't yesterday is because our beat up ol' truck was packed with our stuff." He replied.

I walked into the living room and saw a T.V. My mom never owned one so I sat on the couch and flipped it on.

Micah came and sat by me. I couldn't help but wonder why they were in such a crappy part of the city.