Chapter Nineteen

(Monday. Last day of school)

"Hey, Eva, I'm sorry for everything." I looked up to see Cheyenne.

"Its okay. Micah is.. something else." I replied.

She gave me a weak smile and I could see the bruise on her face from when Micah slapped her.

She took her seat beside Mellisa and started taking the notes that we had to do almost everyday.

I looked over at Paisley who was also taking her notes. You could now tell she was pregnant. She had a small baby bump. It looked cute on her. The best part was Micah wasn't here.

It was about thirty minutes into the class and we had about fifteen minutes before the bell rang.

I was studying my notes over when I heard a loud noise out in the hall. I soon realized it was gun shots as I heard more followed by screams. Before we knew it Micah busted into our class with guns in hand and looking at me.

He pointed his gun at our teacher and shot him in the chest which made him fall to the ground.

Next he shot at a couple kids in the class. Then he looked at Cheyenne.

"Your the dumbest bitch ever Cheyenne and you ruined my relationship! " he screamed at her as he came up to her and pointed the gun at her head.

She was bawling and she wet herself.

"Please Micah I'm sorry." She said as she was begging for her life.

He didn't say anything else he just pulled the trigger and Cheyenne fell to floor.

I screamed as the blood splattered on my face. Micah pointed the gun at Mellisa but then quickly pointed it at me.

"I loved you!" He screamed as tears ran down his cheek.

"No, Micah, you didnt. You thought you did. Don't do this." I said trying to stay calm.

"You know what maybe I'll shoot paisley and then you." He said as he pointed his gun at Paisley.

I ran in front of Paisley, shielding her from the gun. I had to protect her and her unborn child. I wouldn't let him shoot her. Not when I'm still alive and breathing.

Paisley was bawling and begging Micah to stop.

"Shut the fuck up Paisley!" He screamed at her.

"Micah, please look at what you have done already. You have turned into your father. What would your mother think? We were better off as friends Micah. Can't you see that? Now your going to go to prison because now you have killed people."

He looked at me with sorry eyes and lowered his gun.

"I'm sorry Eva." He said and put the gun in his mouth.

"No!" I screamed but it was too late. He had pulled the trigger.

I grabbed Mellisa and Paisley and ran out of the class room and out the doors of the school where police and ambulances already there. People crowded around across the street as they waited for their children to pile out of the school.

I ran to a police officer and told him that Micah was the shooter and he had killed himself. The police went in armed and protected. Once cleared paramedics went in.

I saw them carry out at least five body bags ans ten injured. One of the injured was Luke.

I ran over to the gurney and said, "oh my God I am so sorry Luke."

He looked at me and said weakly, "how many times do I have to tell you, it a not your fault."

***

As paisley and I sat in the hospital room with Luke we watched the news and they named off the deceased.

Cheyenne Holland (Student)
Darius Campton (Teacher)
Hannah Tilton (Student)
Shauna Scholl (Secretary)
Zach Johnson (Student)
Micah Hadley (Student/Shooter)

Then they named off the injured.

Luke O'Neill (Student)
Tonya Frederick (Teacher)
Wren Slate (Teacher)
Lacey Tucker (Student)
Brad Ackerman (Student)
Earl Sheader (Security)
Garry Martin (Security)
Anthony Martin (Student)
Hannah Quinn (Teacher)
Niel Perl (Teacher)

The doctors said that Luke would be fine and there was no major damage. He lost a lot of blood but he was only shot in the arm. I'm pretty sure Micah was trying to shoot him in the chest, I know he tried to kill him.

***

I went to Micahs funeral and the only people that were there was the reverend and Gail. Gails father refused to come to the funeral for what Micah had done.

I felt like I needed to be there for her though. I felt like I needed to say goodbye to Micah. He did something that can never be forgiven.

Gail spotted me and walked over to me, hugging me tightly.

"Thank you for coming Eva. I know this is hard for you." Gail said as tears slid down her cheeks.

"It is hard but I needed to come." I replied and the reverend started.

It only took about ten minutes and they lowered his casket into the ground.

I threw a rose in and then a handful of dirt.

"Goodbye Micah. Rest in peace."