Chapter Nine

I woke up next to Paisley who was still sound asleep. It was nine in the morning and I could hear Beatrice in the kitchen fixing breakfast. (She started cooking more when Paisley moved in.)

I didn't want to wake paisley so I slowly got up off the bed and headed into the kitchen.

"Good morning Beatrice, do you need any help?" I asked.

"Oh, Eva, I didn't know you stayed the night." Beatrice replied.

"Yeah, Eva called me last night and wanted to have a sleep over." I replied, carefully not to mention the events of last night.

"I'm so glad you two hit it off. She really looks up to you." Beatrice said smiling.

***

"Thanks for shopping at Livingstons groceries, have a good day." I said to a customer.

The store was pretty dead today, which was somewhat normal. Not many people shopped here.

"Eva, we need to get more customers in or we are going to go out of business. Any ideas?" Anastasia asked looking worried.

Anastasia is the store manager.

"How bout we put some things on sale for a really good price and have buy one Get one freebies? You never pit things on sale." I replied.

"That might actually work. Can you take the inventory list home and work all that out? I'll give you a two dollar raise if this works. " Anastasia said.

I nodded my head and went back to doing my work. I only had an hour left before the store closed.

***

I got home and didn't see the truck in the street, Gail must be at work.

I walked through the front door and closed it as lightly as possible, not wanting to alert Micah I was home. I still didn't want to talk to him. This was the second time he pushed, hard.

I walked into the kitchen so I could get something to eat, I haven't ate since breakfast at Paisleys.

"Your finally home, where were you?" Micah asked.

"I was at work." I replied not looking at him.

"Don't lie to me!" He yelled and grabbed my wrist tight.

"Micah! Let go of me! Your hurting me" I screamed in pain

He let go and I looked down at my wrist that instantly bruised with finger prints.

"Are you kidding me Micah?" I said in shock.

"I'm so sorry Eva, please don't be mad at me please."

"Why would you do that to me? Are you crazy?" I asked mire pissed off than shocked now.

"I don't I'm so sorry please don't hate me please I'm so sorry." He said and his eyes started to fill up with tears. I didn't say anything.

"I love you Eva please don't leave me I'm so sorry." He continued but I went back to shock as he said he loved me.

"What?" I managed to speak.

"I love you." He said again.

I couldn't help but smile. I forgot about the pushing and the finger prints bruised on my arm and said, "I love you too."

He smiled, knowing I had forgiven him for hurting me so suddenly.

He moved closer and pulled me into his arms, hugging me tight and kissing the top of my head.

***

"How do you feel today?" I asked Paisley, standing in her doorway to her bedroom.

She was sitting on her bed and starring out her window.

"I'm fine." She said with an empty voice.

Beatrice had come over and asked me to come talk to Paisley. She never came out of her room yesterday and she hasn't been out today and it was already five at night.

I stepped into her room, noticing she hasn't touched her food that Beatrice had brought into her for supper.

"Your not okay Paisley, you have to tell someone." I said. I was worried about her. She needed to tell someone.

"I can't." Is all She replied.

"Why not?"

"They won't believe a troubled teen who's parents just died not to long ago, who lives on the wrong side of the neighborhood over a rich teen." Paisley said. I could see the tears running down her face.

"We need to tell your grandma at least."

She didn't say anything just nodded her head.

I went and got Beatrice and she followed me back into Paisleys room.

Paisley could barely talk about it so I told her the parts that I knew.

"I'm calling the police." Beatrice said with tears now rolling down her eyes.

"No, grandma please." Paisley pleaded but Beatrice didn't care, she called them anyway.

"The police will be here shortly." Beatrice said as she turned from the phone to see me.

***

"Did the police believe her?" Micah asked.

"One of them did, the other said she was probably a whore." I replied.

"So are they going to look into it?" Micah asked.

"The one said he'd go talk to Zach and that they were going to do a rape kit on her."

Micah looked down, upset. I think he blamed himself for not being there for her. Maybe that's why he kept hitting Zach over and over again.

"I'm supposed to go over there later and see what happened." I said.

"I want to go." Micah replied still looking down.

"Okay, I'm sure she won't care." I said.

Why couldn't I have just went with Paisley? Maybe she wouldn't of got raped or maybe they would have tried to do it to both of us. If I went to the party though Micah would have went. I could have stopped this. I could have prevented it.