Chapter Five

I woke up to Micah sleeping on the bed next to me. He's done this the past two days now. I wasn't sure if I was okay with it or not.

Out first day of work went pretty well. We were pretty much just thrown into it with little training. We go back tonight at five and work till ten.

I sat up and shook Micah awake. He rolled over and looked at me and smiled at me.

"Do you want me to sleep on the floor tonight?" I asked.

"Why would I want that?" He replied.

"You've been sneaking up here after I pass out."

"Do you not want me to do it anymore?"

I went silent, I wasn't sure if I wanted him to or not. I did but I didn't. We barely knew each other.

"I don't know." I said and got up, grabbed my clothes and headed to the bathroom.

***

"Paisley, your in biology class with Micah and I. Lets go I'll show you." I said as I grabbed her hand pulling her to the room.

She sat in back with Micah and I and of course Mellisa and Cheyenne sat right in front of us.

" Oh look Chey, the freak has a twin." Mellisa said, giggling her annoying giggle as usual.

I ignored her and started screaming through my notes since we had a test today. I didn't have time for her.

I glanced over at Paisley who was also ignoring her. She got out a pencil and piece of paper and started to doodle.

"I guess their deaf." Cheyenne responded to Mellisa.

"Hey freak I heard you work at that disgusting grocery store down the street from your house. Glad I don't live in that neighbor hood." Mellisa continued and Cheyenne laughed.

"Micah, do you want to go out with me tonight to diner or something? " Cheyenne asked and gulped so hard I could hear it.

"No, why would I go out with you when you and your whore friend make fun of my friends? I live in the same neighborhood so why would you want to go out with me? Leave me alone." Micah responded and it looked like Cheyenne was about to cry. She's not used to being rejected.

Mellisa and Cheyenne didn't say another word. I could hear Cheyennes soft sobs.

"Eva! Get your ass over here!" I heard a familiar voice say.

I looked up to see my mother, of all people. What the hell did she want, just barging into school like this?

Mellisa looked back at me and sent me a taunting smile. I got up and went to the hallway and my mother followed me.

"What mother what do you want?" I said getting aggravated.

"I heard you was working at that store down there on Dundy Street. I need fifty bucks." My mom said and held out her hand.
Man news travels fast.

"I haven't got paid yet and I wouldn't give any to you for your drugs, especially after you up and left me." I responded. I was a little upset she expected me just to give her money.

"You better give me fifty by Friday I need it."

"No, I'm not giving you a dime mom now leave me alone so I can get back to my class."

I felt my head tilt to the side and a burning, stinging feeling on my cheek. She really just slapped me because I wouldn't give her money.

"That's it!" I heard Micah Say. He must have been eavesdropping on me.

He pushed my mother away from me and grabbed my hand and pulled me back into the class room. He didn't stay though, he went out and shut the door behind him.

I looked out the window to the hall but I couldn't tell what Micah was saying. All I could see was my mom's face and she looked dumb struck.

My mom walked away in a hurry and out of site. Micah turned around and jumped a little like I had startled him.

He walked back into the room and told me we were going home.

***

There was a knock on the door but as I went to get up to answer it, Micah sat me back down and went to the door.

I heard a few soft words then Paisley walked through the door.

"Hey I just came by to check on you and give you and Micah your home work." Paisley said in her sweet voice.

"Thanks." Is all I could say.

"What happened?" Paisley asked.

"My mom. She demanded I give her money and I wouldn't and she slapped me." I replied looking down at the floor.

"I'm sorry."

"That's just her, this is why I live here because she abandoned me." I said.

"My parents weren't the greatest but they would have never done that to me. I'm so sorry Eva."

I didn't say anything just continued to look at the floor. I didn't know what to say.

***

I laid on the pallet on the floor. I was going to let Micah sleep on the bed since I've been waking up with him next to me.

He walked in the room ans paused when he saw me on the floor.

"What are you doing?" He asked looking down at me.

"Sleeping on the floor. You obviously want your bed." I replied.

"That's not it."

"Then what is it?"

"I like sleeping next to you."

Again I didn't know what to say. We barely knew each other and he was wanting to sleep next to me.

"I can stop doing it if you want me to but I want you to have the bed." He said breaking the silence.

I sat up and said, "why do you like sleeping next to me?"

"I like you."

I blushed a little bit but it seemed like this was going way to fast. I liked it, I liked him.

"Well, we can both sleep on the bed then I guess."

"Eva, if you don't want to I will stay on the flo-" He began but I cut him off and said, "no really it's okay."

He smiled and got the blankets and pillows of the ground and put them on the bed.

I laid down and he laid down next to me. He didn't touch me though. I rolled over and put my arms around him, putting my head on his chest. I fell asleep fast, feeling something I have never felt before.