Chapter Four

Micah and I have been walking for about an hour. I've filled out tons of application.

I stopped in front of a store called Livingtons Groceries and saw a help wanted sign plastered in the window. I decided to give it a try.

"Hi can I help you?" a middle aged woman said as We entered the store.

"Yes I saw your help wanted sign and would like an application." I replied.

"Can you start tomorrow." she said bluntly.

"Yes I can. I'm still in high school though so I'd have to work after school hours on days I have school." I replied kind of shocked.

She nodded and handed me and app and then said, "what about you young man, are you looking for a job too? I can use all the help I can get."

"Sure, I can start tomorrow as well." he replied with his cute grin.

"Just make sure you have those apps filled out when you come in tomorrow, I need to have them on file. Noon okay to come in for tomorrow?" she asked and we nodded.

Walking out of the store I had a huge smile on my face. I couldn't believe she had just gave me the job without an interview or even filling out the app yet and on top of that, she gave Micah a job as well.

***

We got home and flopped onto the couch. Michas mom came into the living room. She hadn't been home yet when we got up and left.

"Hey where did you two go off to." she asked kind of sleepily.

"Eva wanted to go get job applications, and guess what?" Micah said.

"What?" Gail asked.

"We both got hired at Livingstons Groceries on the spot. We start tomorrow at noon."

"That's great honey! I'm proud of you both. Eva, when I get up we are going to a church, it has clothing drives every Saturday afternoon. You can get as many clothes you like." Gail said grinning.

I nodded and smiled. Yes I was going to get more clothes! I couldn't wait. Yes they we're hand-me-downs but I didn't care, I'd have more clothes.

Gail walked down the hall to her room and went to bed.

"So where's your dad?" Micah asked out of no where.

"Oh.. Well.. Umm.. He's in prison." I replied kind of nervous.

"Mine too." he said.

"How do you know that? Your mom said he ran out on you guys when you were a baby." I said confused.

"She only tells people that so she don't have to tell the reall story."

"What's the real story?" I asked curiously now.

"He was a serial killer." he said bluntly.

"My dad wasn't a serial killer.. But he did kill someone." I responded.

He looked at me with hurt in his eyes. Did he miss his dad? I know I missed mine, even though he had murdered someone, he was still my father.

"Well I guess we have something else in common besides the taste in our clothes and music." He put on a half smile.

***

I walked across the street to Beatrices house and saw a black SUV pull up.

A woman got out of the drivers side with a suit case and a suit. She walked around to the passenger seat and opened the door.

A girl with short brunette hair got out of the vehicle. She had on a black skirt and a black tank top.

I walked up to Beatrices door and again, before I could knock she yelled for me to come in and the girl and social worker came in behind me.

"Hello Mrs. Shannon, I'm the social worker Abigail Stark. We have some paper work to do." The social worker said.

I looked over at Paisley. She looked really depressed. Which I guess I would be too if my parents died, no matter how horrible They were.

"Hi, I'm Eva I live across the street." I said holding my hand out.

"I'm Paisley Adams." She said as she took my hand to shake it.

"I told your grandmother I would help you settle in. Where's all your stuff?" I asked looking around.

"My clothes won't be here for a week for whatever reason. So I'm stuck wearing this." She replied.

"If you want you can come with us later on today, we are going to a church that hands out free clothes."

"That would be great." She said as she finally smiled.

***

We all piled in Gails pick up and headed to the church she was talking about.

It took about ten minutes to get there and there was sign at the front of the church that said 'Clothing drive, free for everyone.'

We hopped out of the car and walked inside. There wasn't really anyone there though. A couple of people were looking around and then there was a couple old ladies sitting in the corner of the room.

There was about ten tables full of clothes and signs that had sizes and if they were men's or women's.

I walked over to my size four table and started looking for some jeans first. I found five pairs of jeans. Some black and some blue jeans.

I walked over to the size M shirts. There wasn't much to choose from so I just got the darkest ones I could find. I probably got about eight shirts.

I looked over at Paisley to see that she had dark clothing as well. She was probably about a size zero and Xs shirts.

"Did you find anything?" Micah asked walking up behind me.

"Yeah, a couple things. I think I'm good to go now." I replied.

Gail walked over and took the clothes from my hands and walked over to the old ladies sitting in the corner. They had put my clothes into a plastic bag and I swear I saw her give a donation for the clothes. I felt bad that she did that.

***

"You can have this side the closet for your shirts and that side of the dresser for the rest of your things." Micah said as he cleaned out room for me.

"Thanks. I'm sorry I'm intruding." I replied, looking down at my feet. I felt bad me being here. They shouldn't have to let me live here because my mother is worthless.

"Don't say that again." Micah said. He looked a little upset that I said that.

I didn't say anything though. I just put my clothes away and flopped onto the bed, laying back.

"We should get to bed soon. We start work tomorrow." he said.

"Okay, do you want to take the bed tonight?" I asked.

"No that's okay. I prefer the floor anyways. Don't argue with me either."

I grinned. He was such a sweet and caring guy.