Chapter 3

Today was the day where hundreds of concubines across the country had to be present at the palace. They were guided by the court lady to the palace hall for the scrutinize session. As they stepped their foot into the hall, their eyes widen in astonishment seeing the scenery before them. The exquisite architectures and decorations can be seen all over the place as one could mistook it as a gift from Heaven for mortals to adore.

Those who has never been in the palace, secretly observed and admired the place; knowing they will be living in a grand and luxury household, those concubines cannot help but to feel excited.

However, it was different for him. As someone whom had been dragged into someone's mess, Ruolan did not have the mood to adore the exquisite hall. His mistress truly an evil. Not only he was draped in woman's robes, Shu Xiaofan even gave the idea covering his real hair with a black and thick wig. If it not because to prevent him getting recognize easily by others, he would have thrown the wig away.

Sigh, Ruolan was not into wealth and luxuries; hence those magnificent and extravagant lifestyle meant nothing to him. The only thing he wished to do now was to escape from the place. However, the moment he took a peek through his carriage's window, he was greatly dumbfounded. The endless high and wide walls, combined with a large number of guards guarding the gate already made his blood ran cold[1]. He knew, once he stepped his foot inside the palace, the chances to escape was very thin, even if he managed to escape, the Shu family will not be able to. From this day onwards, he will be living in this place, not be able to go out and be free; just like a bird confined in its cage, either to die or to be killed in there...

If it was not because of his mistress's idea, he would not be here joining the procession...

~Flashback~

"Shu Xiaofan, are you out of your mind?!" The father's face was fired up in anger, strongly opposed his daughter's ridiculous idea.

"He is a man, MAN. Not a woman! If the Emperor found out about him, His Majesty will not hesitate to behead the Shu family!" For the first time in their life seeing the old man lost his temper. Even more to their surprise, there was no hint of fear in Shu Xiaofan's flawless face.

"Father, I know you will think it is a ridiculous idea but we have no choice! I believe only Ruolan can do it. As I already said, I will not go even if you force me to." she said in a resolute tone ringing with mettle. Although she rarely saw his father with such expression, she was still adamant with her decision.

Seeing both father and daughter had a cold war because of this young servant, Ruolan could not help but to be speechless. How his mistress could suddenly dragged him into this matter? Not to mention, replacing her? What a joke! He was a complete male. If others were to find out about this, he will definitely turn into a laughing stock!

Ruolan was on his master's side, hoping for him to win the argument and save the poor young servant from trouble.

"Father, I am not sending Ruolan for a trouble!"

"Is your idea not getting us a trouble??"

"Worry not! I have a plan for this!"

"A plan...?"

They stared at the young mistress with doubt. For her to think out of a plan in a crucial time like, they had a feeling it will not be a pleasant one. Even so, the young servant clung to a thread of optimism, prayed to the Heaven to hear good news from the young mistress.

Shu Xiaofan cleared her throat then began to speak again, "With Ruolan natural feminine appearance, I do not think that they will find out. Remember, there will be hundreds of girls present at the palace tomorrow. This means, he will not be alone. If His Majesty were to meet all the girls, certainly he would not be able to remember his entire concubine's face. Plus, to Ruolan's advantage, he can be both woman and man hence he can disguise himself as a servant or a guard. So saying, he can easily escape from the palace. How is that? Although it is a risky one, but I am sure that Ruolan can do it!"