Chapter 24

Happy new year!! It's really been a while, I've been really busy with life as I don't have much time to write-- Worst, I got writer block as well. Thanks for patiently waiting, as I promised last year, here's the new chapter!

===================================

When both Hui Qing and Meng Yue dashed into the kitchen, they were extremely shock seeing the scene before them.

"How horrible!" Meng Yue gasped, "Just who did this?"

Hui Qing quickly diverted her eyes at the lady sitting helplessly on the floor. Shu Xiaofan's face was painted in white, looking as pale as ghost. Being the chosen one to duel with the Emperor's most talented servant, Hui Qing understood Shu Xiaofan was still in shock watching her hard work destroyed right before her eyes. Worst of the worsts, the duel's due will be on this afternoon.

Her heart could not bear to see Shu Xiaofan in such state thus hurriedly helped her to stand. "What shall we do? If we continue on the main recipe, we would not have the time."

Ruolan did not say a word as Hui Qing aided him to stand. After taking a deep breath; he was able to regain his energy back and let go Hui Qing's arms. He slowly walked forward and knelt, grabbing the whole bird then putting it back into the bucket. Ruolan froze in his spot for a moment, staring at the duck inside the bucket. The longer he stared at it, the more his heart grew ached.

Gritting his teeth, he forced his voice out, "Let us... Clean this place."

Both servant were about to clean the place when suddenly Hui Qing stopped them. Shaoqing and Meng Yue looked at her with perplexed.

"Is there anything we can do with the duck? Like, can we just wash then cook it?" Hui Qing asked solemnly.

The question was probably the foolish they ever heard. Shaoqing cleared his throat, "Would Lady Hui still eats spoiled food that has been cooked?"

Hui Qing stared at Shaoqing dumbly, "...No?"

"Same goes for the Emperor."

The kitchen was quiet and gloom while they cleaned up the mess. The three of them knew how heartbroken Ruolan was hence keeping silent until the place was fine again. Being the most closed person with him, Meng Yue felt dejected seeing Ruolan in such depressed state. She approached him then patted his back gently, "Is Lady Shu alright?"

"After what happened, do you think she is alright?" Hui Qing interrupted.

Meng Yue knew what the answer would be, yet she still asked. The maid lowered her head in guilt and was almost burst into tears. Shaoqing only comforted the maid by patting her head. Ruolan, whom heart was still shattered, felt even sadder seeing Meng Yue holding her tears from falling. He forced a small smile, "It is alright... Thanks for worrying."