Chapter 18

When the next morning arrived, Xuan Yu saw the girl and her maid stood before her room, eagerly waiting for his arrival. It was odd to see his concubine expecting for him today. Strangely, she even smiled warmly when she saw him. Xuan Yu could not help but to feel perplexed. "Is there any good things happened?"

The girl nodded her head shyly. "Having Your Majesty coming here is the happiest gift Concubine Shu ever had. How can she not feel happy?"

Xuan Yu become silent, even more puzzled hearing her suddenly say such honeyed words. What has gotten into the lady's mind? He stood there silently until his servant softly poked him from the back, awakened him from his thought.

"Very well." The Emperor said shortly.

The girl's lips stretched even broad as she invited the Emperor, "Please come in. Concubine Shu will prepare a tea for Your Majesty."

*****

After a moment, the girl brought the tea and carefully placed the tea on the table. "The tea is here, please drink it while it still warm. Warm tea is more enjoyable to drink during cold season."

Xuan Yu hummed shortly, still in bewilderment as he grabbed the tea and sipping it slowly.

Meanwhile, the girl sat opposite him and stared at the Emperor smilingly.

Xuan Yu took a glance at her. He admitted it was refreshing seeing her smile early in the morning. However, as she continued staring him, Xuan Yu beginning to feel something was off.

"How is the tea?" She asked, tilting her head.

The Emperor placed the cup back on the table. "Not bad."

"Concubine Shu is happy to hear that." She chuckled shyly behind her sleeve, caused the Emperor to feel even more suspicious.

Xuan Yu was familiar with such behaviour. Neither his officials nor concubines, all of them shared the same look when they wanted something. Since they could not ask straight, they will act all nice before proceeding to their real intentions. The situation was the same as the current situation; Xuan Yu could easily read her face like an open book.

 The situation was the same as the current situation; Xuan Yu could easily read her face like an open book

"What is it that you want?" The Emperor asked frankly.

The girl's expression changed and her forehead was sweating. "It is nothing! Why does Your Majesty ask?"

The Emperor knitted his brows, "Your face clearly says it all. If you have something to say, just say it. "

She lowered her head and looked a bit panicked.

It appeared Xuan Yu was right. People would not change drastically unless they wanted for something. "Tell me." He asked impatiently.

"Actually, it is regarding to the cooking competition," She said while playing with her fingers nervously. "If Concubine Shu may, can she find the ingredients herself?"