Chapter 23

Hallo everyone. I apologise for my late update and I have a little news here. The Orchid will be on hiatus for a while because I'm quite busy with life— Arrgghh, I got two conventions to go next month and now I'm working hard on my finances— ;7; Worry not I'll be back on next year! Anyhow, happy reading!

======================================

"Acchheeww!" She sneezed at the chilly morning air.

The temperature gradually became low each day and everyone wore thick robes to keep warm. A maid grabbed a cape and wrapped it around the lady. "It is cold outside; Xiao Mei has prepared a thick cape for Lady Hui."

The corner of the beauty's lips lifted, "Good."

Xiao Mei noticed her lady's changes; Hui Qing has been in a very good mood especially when she was ready to head out. The Lady Hui she knew always had a bad temper and put up a grumpy look on her face all day. Being Hui Qing's closed maid, Xiao Mei soon realized the reason why she always in a foul mood. It was because of a girl named Shu Xiaofan.

Hui Qing never being open with her so Xiao Mei did not know why she loathed Shu Xiaofan so much. Because of her emotion, Xiao Mei was the one had to do the dirty works she demanded.

But lately, Hui Qing had stopped demanded doing those bad things as her mood suddenly changed. Just like cold winter season turned into warm and fuzzy spring season. Xiao Mei had no idea what exactly happened, but she rejoiced for her changes. At least she would not have to conduct such bad act and see Hui Qing's sulky face every day.

Xiao Mei went closer and poked Hui Qing's shoulder, smilingly whispered, "Lady Hui looks happy lately. Something good must have happened, right?"

Hui Qing's cheeks turned a bit pinkish and scolded the maid, "Shut up! It is none of your business!"

The maid held her giggle for a moment before asking, "Surely Lady Hui does not want Xiao Mei to accompany her?"

"No need. I will be going now and you do not have to see me off."

Then Hui Qing left in a hurry after she spoke these words.

*****

Hui Qing walked to Shu Xiaofan's room as usual. Naturally she would meet few servants and concubines on the way to her destination. Just this time, she saw a group of lady having their tea party in the pavilion. However, it was odd for her to see them gathered together. Her curiosity piqued. Hui Qing approached them in secret to eavesdrop their conversation.

"Did you hear about Lady Shu?"

"Yes. I heard recently she gone out from the palace. So lucky! She must have a good time outside!"

"Rumours said she seduced the Emperor. Remember the day after His Majesty spent his night at her place? She walked around the court, showing off those marks on her neck! What a bitch!"

"True. I thought His Majesty no longer interested in her after spending the night. But recently the Emperor came to her room almost like every day, right? I wonder what she did to catch His Majesty's attention. He did not even care to look at us."

The ladies heaved a frustrated sigh.

"I have seen her once; she is not that beautiful if compared to us. How come the Emperor only had his eyes on her?"

"Who knows?"

"But that bitch is quite smart though. She dared caused a scene at the dinner and successfully became the spotlight in the Emperor's eyes. I told my maid to make me look beautiful that night, but His Majesty does not even pay me a glance, it is so unfair!"