Chapter 17

It's been a while eh? As usual, I thank everyone for giving me motivations to continue the story. I understand the story development is kinda slow but I hope you all will stay with me until the end of The Orchid. Every time I started a new chapter, my mind will become blank not because I don't have the ideas; it just that I don't know what to write. <--my typical problem lol 

Anyhow, enjoy the chapter :3 

==========================

After Ruolan all tidied up, he was informed by his maid that the Emperor came to visit him again. As usual, Ruolan will hurry to the door and greeted Xuan Yu.

"What happened to your face?" Was the Emperor's first question right after he spotted those pimples and dark circles under her eyes.

Ruolan smiled awkwardly, "Concubine Shu did not have a good rest last night."

Xuan Yu furrowed his eyebrow, looking a bit perplex. "Did last night's matter bothered you so much?"

Ruolan broke into cold sweat then rapidly shook his head, "Not at all. There were many mosquitoes presents in her room, hence she could not sleep properly because of them... Something like that."

It was obvious those marks were not caused by mosquitoes.

Fortunately, Xuan Yu was not the type of prolonging such small matter so he said straight to the point, "Today is your first day entering the private Imperial Kitchen is it? I expect your servant did not familiar with the way, so I have brought another servant to escort you there."

Ruolan took a peek of the servant stood behind the Emperor before thanking him. He invited Xuan Yu in for a tea but he declined. Since today was Ruolan's first day entering the kitchen and legitimately leave the concubine court for the whole day, the Emperor did not want for her to be late.

After a small chat, the Emperor left to attend morning court while Ruolan and his maid were escorted to the Private Imperial Kitchen. When he reached to his destination, Ruolan found out the private kitchen was not as big as the Imperial Kitchen. But the room can still be considered as large to fit five to ten persons.

He smiled, never thought he still has the chance to enter the kitchen again. Ruolan randomly lingered around the kitchen. He saw lots of utensils and a small well in the back, which was very convenient to find usable nearest water source. As expected of a private kitchen, he thought.

Ruolan inspected the whole kitchen and remembered where everything was placed before he began cooking. Meng Yue also did not stay idle as she went out to fetch the water and helped Ruolan to prepare all the ingredients he need. Ruolan was not used to have a kitchen assistant since he usually did everything himself, but still letting the maid help him nonetheless. When everything was all ready, he grabbed the knife and began working on the ingredients.

Meng Yue whom has just return from fetching water, could not help but to stared at Ruolan in awe. Her movement was swift and smooth. Her usual troubled expression became absent and her eyes focused. She showed no hesitation in her motion and was seen like she no longer care about anything but cooking. It was Meng Yue's first time seeing her lady with such expression.

Soon after hours of the clashing metals and rough knocks from the knife hitting the cutting board, Ruolan finally finished his first dishes.

"Done!" He said excitingly after done arranged all the foods on the table.

Meng Yue looked at those dishes in astonishment. "Meng Yue never sees these kinds of dishes before! It looks like a painting!"

Ruolan smiled, "Indeed. Foods are not only to be eaten, but also a form of art."