Chapter 1 • Pocky [REDO]

The first day at school is always the hardest, especially in a new country. With no friends, new faces and a new home, life is bound to feel like an overwhelming struggle at times. Though you have been aware of that since you signed up to Yōsen High. You also knew that wherever you go in Japan it is going to be inevitable to avoid the stares of people- not only for being a foreigner, but for being on the heavier side too. This burden may have been made a bit easier if you had a friend in a similar situation, but Taiga left America long before you. You wondered if you ever will see him again.

Enough dwelling on the past, today is the day to make a good impression for the future. This morning you woke up extra early, so that you could get to school early and make a good impression with the people guiding you around the school, one of them speaks English and the other is in your class so hopefully you'll be able to make friends with them.

As you approach the school you notice three figures waiting by the gate. One looks like a teacher and the other two are intimidatingly tall, especially the one with the purple hair. You swallow the lump in your throat, they can't know that you are nervous.

"You must be (l/n) (y/n)? Nice too meet you."
The teacher greeted you, though the grimace on her face betrayed her words. You could tell that she was looking down on you already, and not just literally. She hurried introductions between you and the boys, as if she was trying to quickly flee from your presence. You didn't feel particularly welcomed by the teacher so you were dreading meeting the rest of the students. You were snapped out of your melancholy thoughts by the boy with the black hair.
"Hi, I'm Tatsuya Himuro. Though just call me Himuro. I'm sure you know that the culture here is quite different to in America."
He has a warm smile on his face, causing you to instantly brighten up at hearing him speak English. He chuckled at your instantly lifted demeanour as you began to enthusiastically nod in response, and grin like the Cheshire Cat from the familiar accent and language. He reminded you of Taiga.

You almost forgot the purple haired guy was there until you noticed him staring at you, you blushed in embarrassment and began to introduce yourself. He had a bored look on his face as he stopped munching on snacks and also introduced himself.
"Then I'll leave you to the boys." Muttered the teacher before she hurriedly left.

The boys showed you around the school and you learnt a few things about them: Himuro was actually in the year above, the two boys were close friends and on the basketball team.
"Ne~, (l/n)chin, are you going to join a club?" Asked Murasakibara, but you quickly looked away from him and became slightly fidgety. Despite your size, you enjoyed playing sports frequently in America, it didn't bother you as much because there were all sorts of people of different shapes and sizes. Though here you worried that you would be made fun of, considering everyone was slim. Of course you were aware that not everyone would be bothered by this, but your own insecurities were sometimes overwhelming.

"I-I don't know, maybe. I'm not really to fond of the idea. I think I'd rather just spend the time studying at home." You replied making the excuse of studying, though Himuro saw through this.
"Then why not join the study club, it'd be a good idea and you can try to make friends there too. As a new student, joining a club will leave a good impression."
"I'll think about it." You forced a small smile, thanking him for his suggestion.

It was approaching time for class to start, so Himuro left you with Murasakibara as you were in the same class. You were stood at the front of the class, and as much as you tried to avoid it, you couldn't help but stutter from being nervous. You earned a few sniggers, glares, disgusted looks and a few rare warm smiles from a few classmates (one of which was from Murasakibara).You just had to hold it together until lunch.

As soon as lunch arrived you were one of the first out of the class room, not because you were desperate to eat, but because you wanted to find a empty space. You wanted to sit by yourself to avoid the judgment and stares of other people. The roof was the ideal place for this. Or so you thought.

As you were about to indulge in the Pocky that you had saved for your self, you heard a hoard of rowdy boys enter. They spotted your chubby form on the floor and became quiet. That was until a familiar face emerged.
"Hi (l/n)chin. Can we join you?" Asked Murasakibara, though rather than looking you in the eyes he was fixated on your pocky.
"Sure." You smiled reluctantly. You were introduced to the Basketball Team, and despite their intimidating appearances they were very, surprisingly, welcoming.

Murasakibara, who had been sitting next to you, looked like he had something he wanted to ask. More specifically, he looked like he wanted to ask about your Pocky- it seemed to be the only thing he was focusing on this lunchtime. You were hesitant at first, but decided to ask him anyway.
"Hey, Murasakibara. Would you like some Pocky?" You tilted the box towards him, causing his face to look a little less bored. His large hands took almost half of the Pocky, but you weren't mad.
"Thanks, (l/n)chin." You could tell he was thankful despite his remaining monotonous voice, as he ruffled your hair with his large hand.

Maybe you are on the right path to making new friends. Things were beginning to look up.

[EDITED 1/11/18]