2: Cold Grasp

It had been a couple of days since Fury contacted me with my next task. It was just to help guard a blue glowing cube called the Tesseract. It had been in SHIELD's possession for some time. From what I gathered; it was dangerous to touch as it shot out gamma radiation beams.

I was surprised to see my mentor Clint Barton, known as Hawkeye for his sharpshooter skills. He preferred to use a bow and arrow as his main weapon over a gun. Clint taught me archery and how to aim at a target without missing it. I got to meet his wife Laura and their two kids, Cooper and Lila countless times and I was accepted as a member of their family. I helped keep their secret as Clint didn't want his family on SHIELD's files in case any enemies found out about them.

At times, he can be such a dork. On occasions, we'd pull several pranks on the other agents, including each other and my friends. None of us dared to pull one on Fury; otherwise, he'd have our heads on that, and make us spend an entire freaking day of boot camp!

Clint and I took turns watching the cube as the scientists went about examining it. The interesting thing was that we were on the rafters. He preferred watching from a distance. I have to admit, being about several feet away was easier to see than being too close and personal.

Dr. Erik Selvig, a middle-aged astrophysicist was working alongside them. Fury had hired him to examine the Tesseract. I briefly met the astrophysicist last year while in Puente Antiguo, New Mexico. I had been assigned there when Thor's hammer Mjolnir landed in the middle of the desert causing a huge crater. I found it goofy watching the locals try to lift it like attempting to pull Excalibur from the stone, especially the part where some guy tried yanking the hammer with his truck but the bucket came off. My job was to keep an eye on things around town. However, it all changed when a giant metal being called the Destroyer arrived and demolished half of the town. I got myself directly involved in trying to get the locals evacuated and witnessed Thor taking it out for good. I was close to being hit when the Destroyer itself stopped once it saw me and moved on without hurting me.

And that was how it changed my relationship with another fellow agent, Craig Emmons who happened to be my ex-boyfriend. He was trained by my dad and had promised the latter that he'd look after me. Craig harshly got after me after he heard that I was in the center of the attack and that led to a huge argument. I dumped him figuring if he was going to continue to keep throwing abusive words at me saying I should've stood back and that I was stupid to run into the center of the battle. I haven't spoken much to him since then. Craig had been trying to talk with me, but I just ignored him and every message from him figuring he would get on my case. Craig still thought we were still together as if he was denying that we broke up.

Soon, while Clint had his turn at watching the Tesseract, I pulled out my phone and played Wordscapes. I wished I had brought my Nintendo 3DS which Vince got for me a while back when it was first released. It had Pikachu designed on it since Pokémon was one of my childhood games that I played on various game consoles from the Game Boy to the DS. I even collected the trading cards and watched the TV series. Plus, whenever there was a new Pokémon game out, I'd rush to the closest game shop and get it before it sold out. If that were the case, I'd look on eBay.
Sean too was into Pokémon. He and I would trade cards with each other and some of the kids. When we both got into the Academy, some people thought we were weird due to our geeking out over Pokémon. Peyton and Vince, we're into it as well. Nicole wasn't much of a fan but tolerated it. Craig hated Pokémon but I didn't care.

Whenever my parents were gone on a mission for some extended period and weren't back as I expected, I'd stay up late playing the Nintendo, even if it took all night. Mom and Dad would find me sleeping on the couch with one of the games playing on the screen whenever they got back.