1. Borderline Crossing

Gunshots fired from behind me. I managed to duck as a couple of bullets zoomed past a few inches from my ear. I glanced at Jin Kwan, a man originally from North Korea who was eager to meet up with his wife and two children in Seoul since they were able to escape. They couldn't travel together in case the authorities of the North suspected anything.

I gestured at Jin telling him to get on the ground as bullets zipped and ricocheted all over the place. Looking behind me, a horde of soldiers were starting to approach us with firearms pointed in our direction. I took a deep breath and focused on my surroundings.

I'm a SHIELD agent known as Sparrow with a wicked ability of telekinesis. I've been with the agency since I was fifteen after my parents died. First, I attended the academy and then trained in the field. Before their deaths, Mom and Dad were SHIELD agents.

Long before SHIELD found him, Dad had been a cop in the Bronx. He was on top of the police academy and helped solve multiple cases and put away dangerous criminals. Dad caught a perp who was being tracked by SHIELD and that was when the agency recruited him.

Mom had been a brilliant scientist at the Smithsonian and like Dad was recruited by SHIELD. They both met sometime after getting into the agency and hit it off.

After they had me, they wanted me to have a normal life despite the fact I was born prematurely and almost died and injected with a mysterious serum that soon resulted in my developing telekinesis and the capability of speaking and translating any language I hear and read. It all got Director Nick Fury's attention and suggested that I join SHIELD as an asset. After losing Mom and Dad, I ended up moving in with Brett Kemp and his son Gunner who both are my adoptive dad and brother. Brett and Dad had been best friends, which made things comforting for me.

It all lasted until SHIELD brought me to the Academy. I suggested that the agency keep Brett and Gunner off their radar, just as my parents did before agreeing to attend the Academy and work for them.

I made sure to keep in touch with the Kemps as we were like family. I also kept in touch with my paternal uncle Austin, who lived in Texas and had finally proposed to his longtime girlfriend, Ellie Ramirez, and are wanting to get on with the wedding as soon as I get a break. I even kept in touch with my maternal aunt, Sylvia Dower who was an independent journalist and traveled the globe to gather stories.

I had been assigned to get Jin to Seoul as he had further information on the activities of North Korea. He insisted that his wife and kids head south there first, and he'd catch up with them later. I got that he put his family first and then himself.

Just then, trees and vines collided together like they were blown by a massive windstorm tangling the soldiers. They were yelling in Korean in wonder and to keep going until Jin and I were shot. Bullets fired at us once again. I concentrated and caused the bullets to ricochet in the opposite direction and punctured the tires of the oncoming armored vehicles.

"Keep going," I turned to Jin who nodded at me in astonishment as both of us got back on our feet and headed straight for the border. However, I could tell he was noticing that I was starting to get a nosebleed.

Another side effect of overusing telekinesis was bleeding from my nose and being drained of energy. Thankfully, I wasn't worn out in that situation!

Reaching it, more armed soldiers were blocking it. I telekinetically yanked their weapons out of their grips and pushed them against the concrete and metal wall and they were knocked unconscious.

Jin and I climbed up one of the towers overlooking the borderline.

"Okay, we're gonna have to jump," I suggested to Jin as I glanced at the ground for a safe place to land.