14. As A Team

"So, what's the story upstairs?" Steve asked as we all gathered together.

"The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable," Thor replied.

"In other words, he couldn't break through the barrier surrounding it," I jumped in.

"Thor's right. We gotta deal with these guys," Tony remarked through the ear-coms.

"How do we do this?" Sean asked.

"As a team," Steve answered.

"I have unfinished business with Loki," Thor said staring up at the Chitauri zipping around on their hovercraft blowing up portions of the skyscrapers.

"Yeah, well get in line," Clint frowned.

"Save it," Steve suggested, "Loki's gonna keep the fight focused on us, and that's what,t we need. Otherwise, those things could run wild. We've got Stark on top--."

He was cut off by the sound of a motorcycle approaching and shutting off. I saw that it was Bruce. Relief swam through me seeing that he survived the fall from the Helicarrier.

"So," Bruce spoke noticing the destruction, "This all seems horrible."

"I've seen worse," Natasha nodded.

"Sorry."

"No, we could use a little worse," Peyton jumped in.

"Stark, we got him," Steve spoke through his ear-com.

"Banner?" Tony asked.

"Just like you said."

"Tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you."

About a couple of seconds later, Tony flew around the corner and in our direction. Right behind him was what appeared to be a gargantuan armored centipede in pursuit. Thor let out a low growl and gripped Mjolnir bracing for a fight.

"I don't see how that's a party," Nicole shook her head.

Tony dropped close to street level as the Leviathan followed bashing its way through a few vehicles and street posts heading right for us. Bruce started walking towards it.

"Dr. Banner now might be a good time for you to get angry," I pointed out.

"That's my secret, Casey," Bruce turned to me, "I'm always angry."

As he turned to face the Leviathan, the transformation into the Hulk occurred and then he punched the Leviathan right in the face and a loud booming shook where we all stood. The giant alien's body toppled over.

"Hold on!" Tony called out and flew over to us and blew up the Leviathan as it almost timbered.

Chunks of what had been the creature scattered all over. I telekinetically kept the giant pieces from hitting any of us. That minute, a loud screeching sounded out through the city as the entire Chitauri army stopped in their tracks on seeing how the Leviathan was taken out so easily. The Hulk let out an ear-deafening roar competing with the mass alien horde as the full group of us stood together as a team, ready to take on anything that came our way.

Just then, a low rumbling occurred.

"Um... guys," Peyton pointed up at the sky.

Looking up, more Leviathans and Chitauri came through the portal. I realized at that moment that the fight wasn't over. It was just beginning.

"Call it, Captain," Vince remarked readying his armory.

"All right, listen up," Steve got our attention, "Until we can close that portal, our priority containment." He turned to Clint, "Barton, I want you on that roof. Eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays." The Captain looked to Tony, "Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash."