06; Shattered

Harley Finstock didn't cry. It was a fact known by everyone. It wasn't like she didn't cry in public, she just didn't cry.

Period.

In kindergarten, she had collided with Stiles on the playground, the boy instantly bursting into tears. Harley just punched him hard in the chest and came back to school with a heart sticker on the large bump on her forehead.

In the fourth grade, she had been out riding bikes with Jackson and Theo, and broke her radius. The two boys watched in awe as she brushed herself off and walked into her house, declaring she needed a cast as she held up her swollen wrist. Her aunt had fainted.

On her twelfth birthday, her mother stated that she was leaving, already filing for divorce months beforehand. She didn't even flinch.

Summer after freshman year when she found out her boyfriend had cheated on her with her best friend, she didn't shed a tear. Instead, she broke his nose and flushed her BFF necklace down the toilet, face free of emotion.

So when Bobby Finstock answered the phone and heard his daughter sobbing uncontrollably, he dropped everything and drove to Beacon Hills First Nation Bank, running three red lights in the process.

When he got there, he found her sitting with her arms wrapped around herself, tears falling silently as she stared blankly at the vault wall. She didn't acknowledge his presence, just continued to gaze as she shook furiously.

It took him a few moments to realize that in her lap, lay Erica Reyes, cold and lifeless.

It took about ten minutes for the paramedics to arrive, finally breaking Harley from her frozen trance. When they EMTs tried to separate the two she started screaming, holding the body of her limp best friend tightly. When they finally pried her off, it took three men to restrain her while they loaded Erica onto a stretcher, the teen kicking and screaming.

Her elbow landed a hard blow to a paramedic's nose, the man releasing her to hold his face, giving her the ability to tear herself away and dart towards the stretcher.

It was her father who caught her, trying to hold back his own tears as she wailed, hitting her fists against his chest until she finally sagged against him, sobs echoing painfully off the stone walls.

She didn't know what else to do. What the hell do you when one of the people you loved most in the world, the one you share all your secrets, the one you held night after night while they sobbed into your shoulder because people were the cruelest species, was just gone.

Harley knew deep down that Erica was gone, but she didn't want to believe it. She didn't want to accept that her best friend, was never coming back.

That no matter how many tears she cried, or how hard she shook her, Erica Reyes would never open her eyes.

Erica Reyes would never get her liscense.

She would never go to prom, she would never graduate. She would never fall in love, or get married, or have children.

Harley would never get to be a bridesmaid at her wedding, or babysit her kids when she would force her to go on date night.

They would never be roommates, or move into matching houses right next to eachother, no matter how ridiculous the notion seemed know, compared to their eight year old minds.