12; Fix A Heart

"Harley, what are you doing here?" Isaac asked, eyebrows furrowed as his girlfriend pushed past him. She was a mess, with bloodshot eyes and messy hair, her hands wouldn't stop shaking. "Babe, it's almost midnight, and your dad-"

"I know, I know. It's just I-" Harley sucked in a deep breath, pacing the room. "I was up late studying for test tomorrow and sometimes before I go to bed, I do this thing."

"It probably sounds stupid, but when I try to fall asleep I'll just lay there, in the dark, and listen. I listen to the leaves rustling, wind, cars, everything. Lastly, I listen to my dad's heartbeat. And then my own." Her eyes fell shut and she ran her hands through her hair for about the millionth time. "Please, just tell me you don't hear it, that it's all in my head. Because going crazy, that sounds a lot better than what's running through my mind."

Isaac paused and stared at her chest, his eyebrows furrowing as he looked her in the eye again. "What is that?"

"Mitral valve prolapse." She whispered, her face crumbling in realization. "I've only heard it once, through a stethoscope, but I still recognized it."

"What exactly is it?"

"It's when the valve between the heart's left atrium and the left ventricle doesn't close properly." She explained, her voice cracking on the word properly. "In some cases blood can leak back into the atrium, called regurgitation. Of course, I'm one of those cases."

"So that's what sounds like water rushing? The regurgitation?" Isaac asked, slowly catching on. "And the click-"

"Was the valve not closing right. Most people can live regular lives, but since I do a sport like lacrosse, it's more strain." She nodded, rubbing her hands on her jeans. "If I kept playing throughout Highschool plus cross country, I would have had to get surgery before I graduated."

"That's why you got the bite." Isaac realized slowly, the girl shrugging as a tear slipped down her cheek. He put his arms around her and held her tightly. "Hey, hey."

"I don't know what to do." Harley whispered, burying her face into his chest and letting tears soak into the fabric of his shirt. "The bite was supposed to fix all this."

"I'll call Deaton, alright?" He murmured, pressing a kiss to her hair. "We'll drive to the clinic right now."

● ● ●

"Crap, can you grab my phone from my car?" Harley asked, tossing Isaac her keys as Deaton got out his stethoscope. "It's in there somewhere."

Isaac caught them easily and nodded, stepping out the back door and jogging to the Porsche. He quickly unlocked it and opened the door, sliding into the driver's seat and glancing on the dash, finding nothing. He sighed and reached for her bag in the backseat, shifting through it until his came upon a filing folder.

He pulled it out slowly, curiosity flooding through it. It was a few papers, a note paper clipped to the top. 

Here's the bestiary stuff you asked for.
-Alli

Isaac's eyebrows furrowed as he shifted through the papers, taking in the highlighted sentences and notes scribbled in the margins, recognizing Harley's handwriting. He sat back, glancing through the highlighted parts.