09; Mother Dearest

Harley tapped on her steering wheel as she waited, about five seconds from going up to the loft when Isaac came out, duffel back in hand. She immediately got out of the car and walked over to him, despite the pouring rain.

"What happened?" She yelled, her voice struggling against the roar of water hitting the pavement.

"He kicked me out."

"What?" She shook her head, eyebrows furrowed. "Why would he-"

"He just said it was too much." Isaac sighed, his now wet hair falling into his face. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Well I do." Harley countered, her mind drifting back to a night months ago, when they were squatting behind a dumpster. "What. Happened."

"He threw a glass at me, alright!" Isaac yelled, his jaw clenching. "Is that what you want to hear? That he pulled a play out of my father's book?"

"Seriously?" She fumed, shoving past him and starting towards the loft.

"Harley, please." He caught her arm, tugging her towards him. "Please, let's just go."

"Fine." She hesitated, glancing at the window one last time. "Let's go home."

● ● ●

"Whose car is that?" Isaac asked, the girl's eyebrows furrowing as she got out of her own side.

"I have no idea." Harley shook her head, locking the car and walking up the driveway. "You can stay here tonight and we'll talk to Scott tomorrow."

"Harley?" Her father's voice sounded as she walked through the door.

"Yeah, sorry I'm late." She called out, setting her keys into the dish by the door and slinging her jacket on a hook. "Do you have any extra sweats Because Isaac got soak-"

"Harley," Her father began, standing up slowly as she stumbled back, hitting Isaac's chest.

"What is she doing here?" Harley whispered, looking over with wide eyes.

"I heard about Erica." The woman stood up and moved to hug her, the blonde jerking away.

"Don't touch me." She hissed, feeling Isaac's hand wrap around her arm protectively.

"Who are you?" Isaac asked, raising an eyebrow. The stranger looked him up and down, disapproval on her features.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Isaac," Harley began, taking a shaky breath. "This is my mother."

"Oh." His eyes widened in realization, looking over the woman's shoulder at coach, whose jaw was clenched tightly. "Oh."

"I was thinking, maybe the three of us could go out to dinner, talk things over."

"Really? I was thinking the opposite." Harley shrugged, crossing her arms. "Like you, leaving."

"That is no way to talk to your mother."

"You're right." She sighed, pursing her lips. "I guess it's a good thing you haven't been one for a few years."