10; Say Goodbye

"So you're not going?"

"I don't necessarily feel like spending two hours scattering the charred remains of my best friend around town." Harley explained, shutting the door of the Porsche. "So, I'm cleaning her room."

"Is Isaac with you?" Jackson asked as she pressed her cellphone between her cheek and shoulder.

"Nope." She slid the key into the lock and opened the door, the house reeking of flowers. "I told everybody to leave me alone, no calls. I don't want to talk to anyone."

"Then why'd you call me?"

"Because," Harley sighed, walking down the hall. It was covered in family photos, but she refused to look at the walls. "I just need someone who won't treat me like I'm made of glass, y'know? Someone who will be real with me."

"Well, I'm here." Jackson chuckled. "Always will be."

"Thanks, Jackie." Her hand rested on the door knob, her eyes falling shut. "I'm gonna go, alright?"

"Good luck."

Harley jumped as her father's whistle blew, yelling at one of her teammates to take their seat.

"Stop thinking about it man." Isaac warned Boyd, who was seated in front of them. The blonde didn't say anything, just curled into herself tighter, playing with the sweater she wore.

"Tell me you're not thinking about it." Boyd scoffed, looking back at him.

"Why don't you both stop thinking about it?" Harley muttered, surprising the boys a little. She hadn't spoken to anyone since they arrived at the school, or even on the bus.

"I can't." Boyd's voice broke slightly, shaking his head.

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it." Isaac sighed, shifting in his seat a little.

"You sure about that?" His voice had a challenging tone, matching his hard expression as his gaze shifted to Danny and Ethan.

"Don't even think about it." She hissed, resting her head on Isaac's shoulder and closing her eyes. "Now, shut up."

Harley was instantly hit with the familiar smell of her best friend, and it almost brought her to her knees. The smell of dove soap and amber perfume flooded her senses, so strong that she had to grip the door for support.

Once she regained herself she shut the door quickly, almost try to preserve the scent as long as possible. The boxes had already been set on her bed, labeled donate, storage, and Harley.

"Let's fucking do this."

Harley carefully laid out all of Erica's clothes on the floor, carefully sliding them off the hanger. Almost all of it would go to donation, she decided, seeing as it was mainly all sweats.

She had gotten about halfway through the pile when she stumbled upon a gray sweater, one of her favorites. Erica hardly wore it, she was too terrified to ruin it after Harley gave it to her for Christmas last year. It was soft and gray, one of the thick knitted ones.

Harley let out a shaky breath and brought the sweater to her face, inhaling deeply. It felt like breathing in needles, but she clung onto it like it was the only thing keeping her alive, despite the sharp pain she felt in her chest. After  a few minutes of sitting there, she folded the sweater neatly and set it in the Harley box.