Chapter 90

Acknowledging the truth in Prithvi's words, Sumer Singh uncomfortably said, "You're right. It is difficult to be sure of a person's true nature or intentions."

"It's not yet decided if she's going or not. But I want to know everything about that woman and her family and their travel plans by tomorrow morning," Prithvi said grimly. "And if there is anything remotely suspicious, Nandini will not step out of that house."

Kadambari overheard the last part of the conversation as she approached the table hurriedly to refill Prithvi's plate. She watched Sumer Singh quickly say, "I will see to it."

She had fully intended to ask Prithvi to have more servings of food, but she didn't utter a word as Prithvi rose from the table, and guardedly observed his angry and tensed visage as he walked past her.

Kadambari walked to the table to scrutinise Prithvi's plate and felt glad to see that only a spoonful of rice was left.

She was about to ask a servant to take a glass of almond milk to his room, but then thought better of it. One of the lessons she had learnt in the past few weeks was that it was not advisable for anyone to go near him when he was in a bad mood.

Another major lesson was that he hated being fussed over by anyone. He gave her a little leeway out of affection. Nevertheless, there was an invisible line encircling him that wasn't to be crossed... a boundary that had to be respected at all times...

But she was curious about the girl who'd been mentioned.

Nandini. She had a vague memory of the name. It had not been mentioned recently. Not within her earshot at any rate.

She looked at the elderly man who appeared to be absorbed in some thoughts.

"Who is this girl... Nandini?" she asked suspiciously.

"The sole person who can make him smile and laugh," Sumer Singh answered absently.

"He smiles and laughs here as well," Kadambari said disdainfully.

Sumer Singh looked at her pityingly. "I can't expect you to know the difference."

Ignoring the comment as gibberish, she fretfully asked, "Is she highborn?"

Sumer Singh rigidly stood up. "She has a heart full of love and goodness. That is far more important," he retorted, and stiffly walked away from the table.

Kadambari snorted and shook her head.

A heart full of love? Ridiculous!

Men could be fooled easily by beauty and tears. Only a woman could see through another woman's intentions...

********************

Bhoothnath gazed thoughtfully at his granddaughter who was massaging his swollen ankles with warm oil.

The prospect of sending her to stay with Janki for some days had been unthinkable initially. But the news had spread, and in the past three hours, neighbours and friends had approached him in the temple and at home to know about the famed author's visit, and many of them had voiced an opinion that Nandini was lucky to get a chance to assist the writer. Sumer Singh too had the same view.

He would have liked to ask Prithvi's opinion as well. The boy had a say, considering.... well, considering that thirty- two gunas has matched in the horoscopes. But he didn't want to trouble Prithvi at the moment. Before leaving, Sumer Singh had admitted to him that there was a family crisis and Prithvi was in the middle of it. It wasn't right to put more burdens on his young shoulders.