Chapter 110

Sakshi's head was swimming. She had spent three-fourths of her life hobnobbing with the rich and famous. But this was a whole new level of social exclusivity. She had not met any royal personages till today morning. And now she was sitting in a palace and interacting with the nobility.

The palace was phenomenally beautiful. It was incredible that this breath-taking, ancient structure was simply home for a group of people. And to think that Priyamvada was one of them...

It was mindboggling, and yet, absolutely believable when she thought about the strange woman.

Now she was feeling embarrassed about the doubts that had surfaced after Priyamvada's departure from the exhibition. However, those fears had gradually become so persistent that she'd left her assistants in charge of the stall and had journeyed alone to an unfamiliar place in a fancy car sent by an unknown family. But it was plain as day now that she'd not made a mistake by following her instincts.

Her sole regret was that she had not thought of bringing Vanaja along. It would have been nice to have a friend in this alien atmosphere.

The elderly man named Uday Singh, who was apparently Prithvi's great-uncle and was seated on the opposite sofa, was befuddled and ill at ease. He had enquired courteously about her travel to the palace and had encouraged her to consume the tea and snacks arranged on the centre table. He had not seemed inclined to discuss anything else.

The man who had sent the car for her, Sumer Singh, was standing silently beside Uday Singh. On the way to the hall, they had conversed about the scheduled visit of a doctor, and he had unwillingly taken heed of her forewarnings. They had not interacted later.

"Prithvi, you're here," Uday Singh said enthusiastically.

Sakshi looked at the door and heaved a sigh of relief as Prithvi strode into the room. Both of the older men too were reassured by his arrival. Uday Singh smiled more sincerely and Sumer Singh's posture relaxed a bit.

As soon as Prithvi had taken a seat near Uday Singh, Sakshi apologetically said, "I have to leave soon. I can return later if you wish. I dropped by this time only because I wanted to confirm that Priyamvada -"

"Has indeed returned to her family," Prithvi said mildly. "She's sleeping right now but you can see her if you wish."

"Oh that's not necessary," Sakshi muttered.

Prithvi glanced at Sumer Singh. "Baba, is a doctor on the way?"

"She had called from the clinic to say she's leaving but then Ms. Sakshi said..." Sumer Singh stopped and looked at Sakshi.

Sakshi prided herself on her confidence, but she broke out in sweat suddenly as Prithvi turned a coldly inquiring gaze on her. She hadn't thought of the ways in which her words could be misconstrued but they zoomed through her head rapidly now.

"I asked him to postpone the doctor's visit," she said contritely. "But that was only because Priyamvada hates doctors. If she's not conscious while being examined, it is fine. If she's awake and alert...it could cause problems."

The antagonism on Prithvi's features reduced a touch. "She woke up once and then went back to sleep," he divulged pensively.

"Oh alright. Her sleep will break 1-2 times more before the effect of the drug wears off fully," Sakshi predicted. "You can show her to any number of doctors, but based on my experience, it would be best to take her permission for those visits. Or she could react quite...badly."

She halted on seeing a troubled look on Prithvi's face. He had exuded such a harsh aura moments ago that it was twice as shocking, and oddly upsetting, to see him appear so distressed.