Chapter 95

Nandini looked at him perplexedly. What did he mean...

She was on the verge of asking him when a memory flashed through her mind.

Burying a phone in the earth and telling Sankatmochan that -

She reddened with embarrassment, and without meeting his gaze, dolefully said, "Janki ma'am gave it to me."

"And naturally, anything is preferable over my gifts," Prithvi rejoined coolly, handing back the phone with disgust.

"It's not like that," she said awkwardly, holding the phone behind her back.

He grimly countered, "Really? So the gold chain went through plastic surgery?"

Nandini's hand sprung to her pretty silver necklace. She had not wanted a replacement for his precious birthday present. Then yesterday morning, her grandfather had given her the silver chain and a red thread for protection, and she'd been too emotional to say anything.

But then she had given the bag to Sumer Singh weeks ago, and something about Prithvi's annoyance suggested he had found out only now..

"I gave the chain to Sumer uncle when he was leaving Shamli," she admitted resignedly, feeling worn down. "I returned the – other articles too."

"Obviously," he smiled mirthlessly, and then gestured to the back of the vehicle. "Get in."

Relief swamped her. She had readied herself for returning to the house at the end of his grilling. So while the abrupt change in topic was puzzling, she wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Then a doubt gave her pause. Casting a nervous look at the front of the jeep, she whispered, "Is he going to drive?"

"He's the chaperone," Prithvi informed.

Nandini glanced back at him wryly. "I'll feel safer without a chaperone like him."

"You've misunderstood. His job is to protect me from you," he said gravely. "I can't take risks after the way you attacked me last night. Hugging me like a maniac and jumping on my feet," he reminded accusingly. "I was traumatised."

She couldn't help giggling. "I promise to behave today."

He loftily said, "Okay, in that case..." and moved sideways to look at the driver.

"Out," he ordered. "I'll be driving."

"Yes, your highness," the guard responded promptly and disembarked.

"You could have told him politely," she remonstrated mildly.

Prince Charming paid no heed and walked over to the other side of the vehicle.

Nandini sighed and got into the passenger seat at the same time that he slid into the driver's spot. The small compartment under the dashboard caught her eye. She opened it, quickly stashed the phone inside and closed it. Then she fastened the seat belt, attempting to portray serenity despite the fluttering in her stomach.

It was the first time she was travelling with him like this. And the first time she didn't have to panic about the possibility of being spotted by familiar faces.

She looked happily at him as he started the engine. He hadn't secured himself in the seat.

"Seat belt," she said tentatively.

"I don't need it," he dismissed as the jeep set off slowly.

She removed her own seat belt.

He directed an irritated look at her. She met it tranquilly. He irately yanked at his seat belt to fasten it. She hid a smile and followed suit.