Chapter 112

Nandini stared at the palace doors with a wretched helplessness. She should have done something...she should have protected Prithvi from his mother's vicious outburst. But she had stood by and watched his heart break into a million pieces.

The mother whom he had worshipped all these years had used unbearably harsh words to devastate him...and the reason was a malevolent step-brother who wanted to destroy him...

She looked at the woman sitting near Indrajit's unconscious form.

Priyamvada was staring at the doors through which her son had disappeared and was calling out his name with increasing anger, evidently livid that he had flouted her orders.

The fury that Nandini was supressing emerged from her eyes as hot tears. She rubbed them away roughly.

At different points during the day, she had experienced varied emotions towards Priyamvada. Awe, pity, concern, compassion, fear...

Now only a burning rage was left. If Priyamvada had been anyone apart from Prithvi's mother, she would have paid for the sin of hurting him.

Sumer Singh glanced at Nandini and saw a look that had scared him on a couple of occasions in the past. He waited till she looked at him and shook his head, attempting to advise that she should not speak rashly.

Nandini didn't seem convinced but she nodded unhappily. Sumer Singh was right. The urge to lash out had to be curtailed. Prithvi wanted her to be with his mother, and she would do it at any cost. 

Priyamvada looked at Nandini and angrily said, "Where has Prithvi gone? Ask him to come back."

Sumer Singh stepped ahead hurriedly. "Your highness, he will return soon. He just needs some time," he said pleadingly. "We should hurry and take the older prince to the hospital."

Priyamvada looked at him silently. Then she glanced at Nandini and made a subtle gesture, indicating that she needed support to stand up.

Despite feeling a raging hostility, Nandini walked to Priyamvada and helped her rise to her feet. Then she moved away.

Priyamvada noted the action, then she regarded the man who had spoken to her. "You're Sumer Singh?"

"Yes, your highness," he murmured, bowing slightly. An unknown fear was chilling his flesh...

"Listen to me carefully, Sumer," Priyamvada said slowly. "Indrajit will not be taken to a hospital. As far as the outside world is concerned, the fight did not take place. The truth should not leave this compound even if Indrajit dies. This is a family matter and it will stay within these walls."

Nandini overcome her aversion and stared disbelievingly at Priyamvada. The older woman had screamed and ranted dementedly about Indrajit just minutes ago. But the instant there was a possibility that the family's name would be besmirched, her beloved step-son had ceased to be importance?

Sumer Singh nervously said, "But your highness, he needs urgent treatment and the facilities and equipments in a hospital -"

"I appreciate your courage," Priyamvada interrupted icily. "But I will not tolerate another word of argument."

"Yes, your highness," Sumer Singh muttered, switching instantly to the behaviour ingrained in him by his father and grandfather. Their most unbending rule had been unquestioning obedience to the family they served.

He gestured to the confounded guards who were waiting near the steps. They ran to him and he instructed them to bring the stretcher that had originally been purchased as a precautionary measure for Uday Singh. He then asked a shaken Jiva to accompany them. The men rushed off to do the needful. Then Sumer Singh called up the palace manager who, like the guards and staff, had been asked to stay away till Indrajit had left.