Chapter 107

Wide-eyed, Nandini walked to Prithvi, asking, "What curse?"

"I'm not telling you what it is," he refused. "If you do anything reckless, it could ruin my life."

"I won't do anything," she claimed industriously, about to burst with curiosity. "Tell me about the curse."

She gasped as he caught her hand and swung her around to face the stunning vista while holding her securely against his body. Fear of being spotted assailed her momentarily. But the area was deserted at this time of the evening and sunlight was dimming fast...

"People say the spirit of the palace has a weakness for a certain type of woman," Prithvi disclosed as she relaxed in his arms. "They need to have pumpkin-sized eyes, and they absolutely have to be short-tempered, prudish and melodramatic. If such a girl stands near this lake and stares at the palace for five seconds at a stretch, she may get a sign. It could be anything. But once the sign is given...it is over."

Nandini had heard the fabricated story with growing enjoyment and now she giggled. "What happens when she sees the sign?"

"Her life will get entangled irreversibly with the life of the youngest and most good-looking male member of the family that owns the palace," he revealed grandly. "They could go wherever they want and do whatever they wish to...but ultimately, they will have to return to each other whether they like it or not. And that's how it will be forever."

Faint sounds of temple bells reverberated in the air, and surprised, Nandini glanced at the top of the hill opposite the palace.

"See, there's your kind of ridiculous confirmation that the curse is true," Prithvi smirked.

She turned her head to regard him amusedly. Then a crease appeared on her forehead. "But why did you say it will ruin your life?

"Forever is a very long time," he said gravely. "I might change my mind."

Nandini's gaze narrowed. "I will stare at the palace till my eyes water," she declared stoutly, and proceeded to follow up on the threat.

The palace lit up gloriously.

With a loud gasp, she moved out of his embrace and walked forward unconsciously, staring elatedly at the brilliantly golden citadel. The lighting arrangements that had been made for his birthday had not been taken down yet, she realised in a tizzy. The palace looked phenomenally beautiful. But the lights had not been used yesterday...

She spun around with a happy laugh and ran to him impulsively. Grinning, he swept her up in a snug embrace. After a seemingly short while, they broke apart unwillingly, and he solemnly said, "We're trapped now. This is what happens when you don't listen to the wisest person in the world."

"The wisest person in the world is my grandfather," Nandini said perkily.

"The man who told me ghosts can cause constipation?" Prithvi asked testily.

She chuckled. "At least he believes it. You tricked me."

"Not for the first or last time," he assured.

Laughing, she turned in his arms to gaze at the luminous palace again. It possessed a heavenly allure, especially when viewed against the backdrop of the clouded sky.

"I want to take a picture of it," Nandini smiled, and started to walk to the front door of the car to take her phone.

He put an arm around her shoulders and drew her back smoothly. "There are more beautiful things to photograph," he said softly, and her heart missed a beat.