Chapter I: Motherly Duties

"But mom!!" Joella said. Her mother glared her in the eye attempting to take the cellphone from her.

"Don't 'but mom' me. I told you for the umpteenth time to help your brother with the dishes. And here you are, after forty minutes, on your phone texting God knows who!" She ripped the cell from Joella's hands and walked to the door. "You're not getting this back until you have finished what I asked. Do you understand me, young lady? Any bet the person you were talking to already finished his chores."

Joella sucked her teeth when her mother left her room and stared out her window from the window seat. It started as a pleasant Sunday morning and Joella was debating whether or not to go to church today with her family. The very Christian household of six went to worship every Sunday without fail.

After several minutes of awkward thinking, she rushed downstairs to help her little brother, Aarin, wash the dishes but unfortunately, when she got to the kitchen he wasn't there. He was already in the shower getting ready to go to church and all the dishes were in the drain basket. Her mother washed her dresses and work uniforms in the laundry room and her grandparents were on the sofa watching television killing time as they waited on the rest of the family. Joella's father was the pastor of the church and worked for many companies, as well as his own. Her father, Michael Wilis, is a well-known person in the city and has tons of cash as a result. Her mother, Rachael Wilis, is the supervisor at the Soul Food diner in the middle of the city while her grandparents, Steven and Andria Lordes, would stay home or go to hotels to relax and enjoy their retirement.

Joella's mother was scowling at her when she saw that she let her brother wash all of the dishes. She stormed into the kitchen, grabbed Joella by her arm, and pulled her to a wall in a corner. Her mother raised her hand to Joella's level and she flinched. All that was heard was the echoing sound of a slap that breeched all through the corridors of the house. Her grandparents, never mind their age, maliciously rushed to the kitchen arch peeping from behind the panel. The only visible part of them was their grey hair, the loose skin around their eyes, and their eyeballs. Her brother heard the echo and quickly turned off the pipe and scrambled downstairs barely trying to wrap himself up in the towel. He too did the same as his grandparents. When Rachel realized they were watching she turned to leave the kitchen and said, "Well, it seems your brother is done with the shower. Go and take a bath right now and get ready for church. Your father will be here in an hour. Don't make him wait!" She ordered.

When her mother left the kitchen, she sucked her teeth and stomped her way up the stairs to the bathroom. Joella turned on the water in the shower and stared into the mirror. There was a huge handprint on the side of her face where her mother slapped her. Joella's face was turning red and her eyes began to water. She hopped in the shower and took her bath while thinking about what just happened. Stopping the water and stepped out of the shower. When she opened the door her mother was outside waiting for her with a sorry look on her face. "Joella..." she said.

"Yes, Rachel," she answered.

"I'm sorry I hit you earlier. Can you forgive me?" Her mother pleaded.

"I don't know, Rachel. You took away my phone and slapped me in the face and now look. It's swollen!" She pointed to her cheek. "But I guess I can forgive you if I get back my phone." She said. Her mother sighed.

"Fine, Joella. You can have it back..." Joella smiled as she went to hug her mother. She continued, "...tomorrow though." Joella's face immediately went dull and she pushed her mother out of the way and stalked to her bedroom. Rachel grinned and went on her own business. Joella slammed her door shut and screamed in anger. A few photos dropped and she flung herself onto her bed in silent tears.

A few minutes passed and Joella was still face down on her pillow. Finally, she got up and decided to get dressed. She went to her closet and took out one of her favorite black and red laced short dresses and her black 5-inch stilettos. She stood at the side of her bed staring at them, mesmerizing over them. She then sat at her dresser table and applied black mascara and eyeliner, a skin-toned blush, red lipstick, and face foundation to cover up. After that, she curled her hair and wore it down. Joella had her curls loose and bouncy and they fell just below her shoulders. When she finished admiring herself she got dressed, took her bag, went downstairs, and waited like everybody else.

Her brother and grandparents were already downstairs waiting on their father who had just pulled up outside the house in the driveway. He seemed somewhat upset about something but no one dared to ask what's the problem. They all waited by the van for her mother to come out of the house, Joella especially wanted her to hurry.

"Rachel! We're all waiting. Hurry up! We don't have all day!" Joella shouted. Her mother stormed out of the house and into the van and they left.

When they were driving to the church, Michael turned to Rachael and glared.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked nervously.

"I know what you did to Joella while I wasn't home..." He said whispering for only her to hear. She froze and turned to him with fright as he continues. "Do you really think that I wouldn't know? Why did you do it? You know you shouldn't strike her or fret her. Tonight, give her back her phone and never take it away from her again. That's not your job; treat her nice." He finished. Rachael nodded and faintly smiled as she turned to Joella. Joella wasn't paying her any attention as she was staring through the window with her AirPods in her ears listening to music on her iPad and bopping to the beat.

A few hours later when the church service was almost over, Joella and her brother went into the office in the Youth Service room away from the other minors to have some brother-sister time. They laughed, made fun of each other, took selfies, made funny faces, and more. They were in deep conversation seemingly having a moment when their father called for them stating it was time to leave. They took their cool time and exited the room after sharing a warm embrace. In just a few moments they raced to the van to see who gets the front seat.

Joella's brother is really fast for his height but Joella's faster and more agile. When she saw the car she picked up the pace and got there first but unfortunately for her, Rachel was already sitting in the winning seat. Her grandparents, father, and brother burst out in laughter as they were watching and so did Joella.

"Okay guys, enough messing around. Come on let's go home. Your new school year starts in just a few hours." said their father, Michael.

Joella and Aarin both replied the same answer, "Ugh...!"

Michael cackled as they both fell out of their cheerful mood and sluggishly got in the car with their heads held low like zombies.