tutorial : how to make PNGs

This tut was requested by Jaiacie . Hope this helps! :)

In case you're wondering, PNGs, or Portable Network Graphics, are essentially pictures that have transparent backgrounds. To make a PNG, you have to cut out an image and set it on a transparent background.

Here's how to make them.

Step 1:

Open a canvas which is bigger than the image you are going to cut out. If the dimensions of your image are 500 x 500, then the canvas should be approximately 550 x 550. When you're creating it, MAKE SURE THAT THE TRANSPARENT BOX IS TICKED. (In caps because that's like the most important step.)

Step 2:

Now, open the image you want to cut as a layer. (Layer - Open image as a Layer)

Step 3:

Now, you have to cut the image out. There are basically 3 ways in which you can do this -

1. Using the lasso tool

2. Using the magic wand tool

3. Using the eraser tool.

Let me run you through these three.

The lasso is the brown icon that looks like a lasso (duh xD) just below the Move tool. There are 2 types of lassos in Pixlr - the Freehand Lasso and the Polygonal Lasso. In the Freehand Lasso, you can cut pieces of the background out freestyle while in the Polygonal Lasso, you can cut it only in straight lines. I don't use this a lot since I personally find it hard.

The second option is the Magic Wand tool. This is a lot easier, to be honest. If parts of the background are of the same colour, for example red, then when you click on that part, all the parts surrounding it which are also red will get selected. Then you can simply click on 'Delete' to clear it.

The third option is my favourite. Using the Eraser Tool, simply zoom into your image and erase the backgrounds. You can adjust the size and hardness of your eraser in the Eraser Toolbox.

I hope this helped, Jaiacie! :)