tutorial : how to pick the right textures

This tutorial was requested by lircx-.

So, when it comes to picking out textures, the first place I head to is DeviantArt. They have millions of super cool textures. 

There are also many resources threads on the MDC which link you to amazing textures.

I also suggest you check out these three Imgurs [DISCLAIMER: NONE OF THESE IMGUR ACCOUNTS ARE MINE. CREDITS TO THE RESPECTIVE OWNERS.]

www.resourcetown.imgur.com

www.wattpadresources.imgur.com

www.stupidlittlethings.imgur.com

Now, coming to how I choose the right texture.

Firstly, I read through the request form at least twice and try to comprehend what exactly the requester has in mind. If the data is inadequate, I ask them to give me more details so that I can know what they're looking for. Then, I consider all this information and decide which of the following categories the theme of the cover should fall into-

--> Simple

--> Minimal and Illustrated

--> Manipulated angsty

--> Manipulated teen fic 

Let me elaborate on the categories.

Simple covers are, well, simple. They just basically consist of a single picture with text on it. Nothing too fancy. The cover of 'Ellena' (which you can see in the Ellena cover tutorial) is an example of a simple cover.

Minimal, illustrated covers are like a modified version of simple covers. They usually have a very simple and minimal illustration or drawing or something like that. I haven't done a tutorial on minimal covers yet, but you can find a lot of examples for it on the MDC.

Manipulated angsty covers are complex covers (with textures, celebs, etc) which are more on the dark, grunge-y side. My premade 'Heiress' is an example of an angsty cover.

Manipulated teen fic covers are complex covers which have a sort of fun and colourful theme. It mostly fits teen fiction books and are bright and uh... happy? The cover of this book is an example of a manipulated teen fic cover.

Once I decide which category the cover falls into, I start working on it.

Pick out the right celebrity pictures and fonts. Then, choose a colour theme. Are you going to mix two or more colours? Or do you want it to be monochrome? Once you've decided on this, then you can move on to picking the right textures. 

Make sure that the textures you pick suit the mood and feel of the book. You can't make a dark themed cover for a story about two people going on a fun road trip. Neither can you make a bright, colourful cover for a horror story. Make sure that your textures correspond with the theme.

Also, your textures should go well with each other. You can't have one blue texture and pair it with a gold texture. It just won't blend well. So, make sure that all your textures are more or less of the same colour theme. I'm not saying that you shouldn't experiment with different textures; by all means do that. Just make sure that in the end, they all look good together.

I guess that's all I have to say in picking the right texture. Hope this helped you lircx- :))