I Hate the Beach

It took everything I had not to let an audible noise escape my lips. I made sure the parts of my face that weren't covered by my hands looked normal. I must have been too quiet because he pulled his sleeve back down. 

"I'm surprised you didn't freak out on me. When most people see that they think I'm in some cult or involved with demons." He laughed scratching the back of his head 

"What is it? And why'd you get it?" Yeah, try not to seem too eager. 

"It's a Zodiac Wheel. Remember the non-fiction book I wrote about? Yeah, this was part of it... This tattoo turned out to cause me more trouble than it's worth. People thought I got it just to prove a point or to hype up my book."

"And that's why you always wear long sleeves?" 

He nodded, "I've been meaning to get it removed, but I don't know something always stops me."

"Weird..." I trailed off, I was ready for this conversation to be over. 

We sat in silence under the dim lights sipping our coffee. A moment or two passed in the silence, the noise of him viciously typing on a keyboard could be heard, but I tuned it out. 

Why would he have that tattooed on himself? What sense does that make? What does he know? Why does he seem so familiar, yet so unknown?

"So Rehpic, do you play?"

"Play..?"

"The piano." He jerked his head in the direction of the piano, not breaking eye contact with his screen.

"Oh, yes, some."

"Some? Come on, don't be humble. I'm sure you're great at it!"

"I don't really have anyone to play for, so I don't really play anymore."

"Play me something, this silence is killing me."

"Oh, alright..." I walked to the piano and rested my wrists on the edge, poising my fingers on the keys. 

Why am I taking orders from him?

I played a quick warm up,  up the scale of C major as far as the note of B, then back down the B major scale. I cleared my throat and played a few notes, "We'll meet again... Don't know where, don't know when... Oh, I know we'll meet again some sunny day..."

He clapped, "Cute, but I have a feeling you play a lot more than you let on." 

I shrugged, "I've been playing a long time, I just don't play often." It went quiet again, "Do you play any instruments?"

"Me?" He laughed, "No, I don't have a musical bone in my body. You play more than the piano I take it."

"Oh, just guitar, electric and acoustic, bass, drums, violin, cello, harp, saxophone, trumpet, flute, and as you already know, piano."

"Holy shit, and you're only, what, 27? You run this coffee shop, when did you have all the time to learn those?"

Well in truth I've had eons to learn, "I was a very lonely kid, my parents were never around."

"Oh were they musicians too?"

Now they are, "Yeah, my mom was a singer, she played guitar, and my dad played the drums, but they both loved to experiment with sound." Nice, that sounds like a solid alibi, it's undeniable that I would've had the coolest parents. 

"Then how come you ended up brewing coffee instead of producing sound? From what I heard, just that little bit of singing, you have an amazing voice." 

"I just always loved coffee... Like I said, my parents weren't around so if I toured around like them I don't think it'd give me any happy memories knowing that is what they were doing while I was alone. And my voice... It's weird, don't you think? It sounds too girlish."

"What?!" He stood up, and walked over to me, grabbing my hands, "What are you talking about! People go crazy for male singers with a voice like yours! Freddie Mercury, Brendon Urie, Shawn Mendes, Adam Lambert, you'd fit right in!" 

I looked away, I had to avoid his gaze, I have no idea who those people are, but he speaks of them highly.  

"What other instruments do you have here?"

"Just guitars, I used to offer them out but they were difficult to clean so I put them in storage." That's a lie, no one in this town knows how to play guitar and it gave me a splitting headache at the end of each day. 

"Would you sing something for me?" 

"What..."

"Come on, just one song." 

"One song couldn't hurt..." 

"Great! You play and I'll listen, music always helps me write." 

He went back to his spot and resumed typing. I went upstairs and grabbed my acoustic guitar. We'll just say this was a present from my parents. I carried it downstairs and took my place across from him again. 

"Sick guitar."

"Sick... Laptop."

He laughed, "Am I free to make a request?"

I tuned the guitar, "Go ahead, I have nothing in mind."

He made a small hum as he pretended to think about it, "Dream a Little Dream of Me, but! You have to sing it like Mama Cass does!" 

Mama, Cass? "Sure thing... I need my tuner, I can't seem to get it right, I'll be right back." 

I casually ran up the stairs and pulled my phone out, "Dream a little dream of me Mama Cass????" I whispered to myself as I typed it into YourTub. I clicked on the first video and listened to the first few seconds, oh it's that song.

I grabbed the guitar tuner and went back to Mason. I used the tuner to check my guitar, crap... I hope he doesn't notice that it was perfectly tuned...

I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat, "One...Two...Three...Four..." 

I began strummings, "Stars shining bright above you...Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you". Birds singin' in the sycamore tree, dream a little dream of me..."

Just keep looking at your hands.

"Say "nighty-night" and kiss me. Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me. While I'm alone and blue as can be, dream a little dream of me..."

Just focus on the chords. 

"Stars fading but I linger on, dear. Still craving your kiss... I'm longing to linger till dawn, dear. Just saying this..."

Come on, stop shaking, keep your composure. 

"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you. Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you, but in your dreams, whatever they be...Dream a little dream of me."

"Stars fading but I linger on, dear. Still craving your kiss... I'm longing to linger till dawn, dear. Just saying this..."

Wrap it up.

"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you. Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you, but in your dreams, whatever they be...Dream a little dream of... Dream a little dream of... Dream a little dream of me..."

I let the sound resonate in the shop. I looked up and Mason was staring at me, resting his head on his hand.

"You're beautiful..."

"You mean my voice is beautiful?" 

"No... you are." He rose from his chair and walked to my side of the table. He leaned down to my eye level and kissed me firmly on the lips.