Transparent Wings

"This is not funny," Feurige said the next morning, staring at his still wingless red back.

"I don't get it!" Sarah gasped in frustration, looking like she wanted to tear her fur out.

"Maybe we're not the chosen ones after all." He shrugged

I snorted, "chosen ones, sounds like some sort of fantasy novel."

The all stared at me and I realized something.

"Scroll, I meant scroll." I coughed, then excused myself to go take care of a hairball.

"We should visit more of the wolf packs and see if another wolf has randomly sprouted wings." Jay suggested.

"Then how do you explain this!" Feurige demanded.

He shut his eyes in concentration, and his fur started smoking lightly.

"Ah yes," deadpanned Jay. "I'm sure whatever you just tried to show me was very cool."

Feurige didn't get the joke, and I could see he was starting to get a little ticked off.

"First you drag me along on this doomed quest, then you lose all faith in me because I didn't fulfill you silly prophecy." He slumped to the ground, still smoking.

"Hang on a second," I walked into the middle of our gathering. "There's obviously something we missed, and that does not mean we start burning the forest down." I coughed and wheezed, breathing in some of Feurige's smoke. It reminded me of the time I nearly died in the fire Jackson started, you guys remember that right? Well let's just say me and fire don't mix.

"Lay off the smoke Feurige," Sierra explained, since no one else had started to gasp for breath. "What do you suggest future leader?"

I stood a little straighter. This was my chance to prove myself. This was experience I was gaining here.

"Okay, now I think we can rule out the possibility of other wolves and... Cervus. The second line from the prophecy states, 'their cursed spells shall disappear, and they will take up to the skies' the prophecy never directly mentioned physically flying."

All eleven members of my party nodded as if what I said made complete sense, I guess it did.

"That means we could be dealing with something completely unrelated to wings-"

"Oh will you please just make up your mind!" Feurige yelled, breathing heavily.

He growled and started to step towards me, the smoke rolling off his fur getting thicker and thicker when all of a sudden, something large, red, and strangely clear burst up all around him.

He was still for a second, then we all marveled at what had just happened.

Indeed on his back were a pair and red, glass-like, feathery wings. They appeared to be made out of smoke, or steam, or some translucent substance.

"Hah." Feurige gloated. "Who's the chosen one now?"

He flapped them experimentally, they were quite large and seemed to be able to pass through solid objects.

"Well," I said, miming wiping my paws together. "That answers that problem."

"Hey! I can do it to!" Ipa, who had been quite until then, was smirking with another pair of clear, pale green wings sticking out from her shoulders.