Chapter Twenty-Six

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the long wait but I've tried really hard to squeeze you guys in an upload since you've been waiting for so long. It's not one of my best chapters, well in my opinion, but I hope you like it nonetheless. As usual, please comment and vote but I don't even need to ask since you guys are amazing at that. One more thing, thank you so much for reading and getting this story to over 250,000 reads. I didn't even have hope in it passing 100 so thank you!

I hope you enjoy and please comment what you think! 

Chelcia xx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kayla: 24 weeks pregnant

The next morning, we emerge into the LAX arrivals terminal, greeted by a swarm of anonymous figures. It’s really busy, somewhat claustrophobic, the sound of loud voices bellowing over one another and airport announcements firing through my ears from all different directions. Heads rise above the heads in front them, trying to catch hold of their long missed family members who have departed from the recently landed plane. Men stand with an impassive expression planted on their faces, looking mildly interested as they hold up cards with various names reading ‘Mrs Smith’ or ‘Mr Taylor’ as they wait for the required visitor to greet them. Damion grabs hold of my hand, taking full control as he leads me through the crowd, brushing past people without apology as they stand in the way. 

Leaving the cool air-conditioned airport, we finally step outside, the late morning June heat welcoming us back home to California as it clings to our skins like a skin tight dress, automatically forming lines of sweat on our foreheads. Whoa! This heat is crazy and it’s only just the beginning of summer.

Outside the airport is identical to inside, if not worse. Awaiting taxi drivers honk their horns in annoyance, shooting their heads from out of their car windows and grunting as they see the still river of traffic in front of them. Returning business men stand at the sidewalk, clutching hold of their small briefcases as they converse on their smart phones, oblivious to the chaos around them whilst they discuss company matters.

Returning sun kissed vacationers exit from the airport, pushing their luggage carts through the automatic doors as their children lumber behind. Family members hug their long missed loved ones before ushering them to their parked cars as the remaining mass of people extend their arms, trying to grab hold of a taxi.

A taxi finally drives up to our feet, the tanned driver quickly stepping outside and taking our light luggage and placing it inside of the trunk. Damion opens the car door and in I climb as he follows me inside. We both let out a relieved sigh at the silence of the car in contrast to the hysteria outside. The taxi driver then enters the car, turning on the engine as he asks for our address. He types it in as Damion explains it before joining the traffic filled line of cars waiting to exit the airports region.

Damion then fixes his gaze outside of the window, his brows clenched as he returns in to his deep thought. A troubled expression has been looming on his face ever since that phone call with Rosie yesterday morning, and he hasn’t mentioned a word about it throughout the five hour flight and neither have I. I frown at him. What did she say to him? I mean, it’s obviously got him thinking. I then roll my eyes, taking the full advantage that he’s not looking at me, why did he even have to answer when he could have simply ignored the call? Even when they’re over two thousand miles away, it’s like she’s still got control over him, as if she has him wrapped beneath a spell.