~Chapter 14~

Drake POV

Drake sat in the tree behind his house. After his mom and dad divorced, Drake would come to the tree. He used to call it Twisty because of the way the split trunk twisted and wrapped

around itself. In the summer, the tree would have tiny light pink flowers on it. He didn’t mind the color because they were so light they almost looked white. When he was eight his mom said the tree was old and was going to die but after visiting it every day, it seemed to gained life. It was his favorite tree in the whole world. He would come up there to read his favorite books and just think. No one really knew Drake was softie. His usually tough outside had no relation to what was inside.  

Today, he had a lot to think about. Spring Fling was coming up and the girl he really wanted to ask would probably say no.

        “How do I get her to say yes?” He asked to himself.

        “Get who to say yes?” The familiar voice asked. Oh crap. It was just the girl he didn’t want to see right then.

Jay POV

        After school, Jay waited for Sadie but he didn’t see her. She must have already left. He thought to himself. After waiting a bit longer, Jay started walking home. He turned on to his road and walked right past his house. The abusing was getting worse and worse each day. Jay rolled up his sleeve to reveal three yellow, green and purple bruises. He had a small limp from a cut that he got when his dad smashed a beer bottle on his leg.

        Jay walked up Drake’s long driveway and went to the backyard. Drake’s mom welcomed Jay to their home anytime so it didn’t matter when he came over. When he reached the backyard Jay saw Drake in Twisty. But this time he wasn’t alone.

Sadie POV

        When I opened the door to the art room, Miranda was already there, sitting in one of the plastic chairs. She got up and walked over to me.

        “Hey Miranda, what did you want to talk to me about?” I asked her.

        “Not really talk, more like tell,” she replied, “listen Sadie, I know that you are all buddy, buddy with Jay but that’s not working out for me. You see, Jay belongs to me so why don’t you just back off and leave us alone.”

I was surprised at what she just said but then it turned into anger. 

        “Jay never wants to go out with you again! You broke his heart and he went to me, not you!”

        “I don’t recall him asking you out again! Face it Sadie, you two were never meant to be.”

        “It just so happens that Jay and I are going to Spring Fling.” I retorted.

        “Oh, like he actually wants to go with you! He’s just using you to make me jealous so that we can get back together. Oh and if you were wondering, Kyle and I are so over so you can have him now.” Miranda took a step toward me so we were almost touching noses, “I’m going to get Jay back, and there is nothing you can do about it.” With that she pushed past me and walked out the door, leaving me in complete darkness.

Drake POV

        It was Leslie. Standing right there, smiling.

        “Uh, um, a-ask my mom for a motorcycle. I’ve wanted one for a while.”

        “Oh that’s cool. Maybe you could take me for a ride sometime when you get it,” Leslie walked over and started to climb the tree, “this tree is so pretty! Do you come up here a lot?” She sat on the branch beside me.

        “N-no my mom wanted me to, um, oh never mind! Yeah I come up here a lot. It’s my favorite tree.”

        “Tell me more about it,” Leslie smiled, intrigued.

So Drake told her the story about why he called it Twisty and why he loved it so much. When he finished they sat there in silence, looking into each other’s eyes. Drake broke the silence.

        “Leslie, will you go to Spring Fling with me?”

She moved closer to him.

        “I’ve been waiting for you to ask me forever.” She leaned in and kissed Drake and then sat there in each other’s arms.

Jay POV

Drake and Leslie were in the tree, kissing. He was about to walk over there when they were done kissing but he decided to leave them alone. Jay backed away and went back down the street.

The sun was setting and Jay was getting tired of walking around the block. He was about to head home when he saw Sadie sitting on the front steps of her house. Jay had obviously found out she was lying when he picked her up for their date last time. He didn’t mind the fact that her house was small and that it was only her and her dad living there. Compared to what Jay was going through, Sadie’s life was paradise.

“Sadie are you okay?” he asked.

She looked up, “uh yeah I’m just enjoying the night,” she gave a sad smile. Jay could tell she had been crying.

        “Sadie, what’s really the matter?” He sat beside her.

        “Miranda wanted to talk to me after school,” she started.

        “So that’s why you weren’t at your locker.”

She nodded, “we met in the art room and she said some things.”

Jay’s eyes widened, “what kind of things?”

        “She said that you didn’t really want to go to Spring Fling with me and that you were just using me to make her jealous. Miranda wants you back Jay, she even dumped Kyle to do it.”

        “That bitch! Sadie, I’m not using you I swear. She’s the one who is jealous. Don’t let her get to you. I really like you and I don’t want Miranda messing this up. I’m never getting back with her.” He leaned over and kissed her before she could say anything.