Chapter 11 - Sophie

Chapter 11: Sophie

I sat up in my bed and looked outside my window. The sun was just barely reaching the tops of the trees. My mom was in the kitchen cooking. She had been up all night cleaning, then went straight to the kitchen to cook breakfast. I listened to her all morning, humming and singing to herself as she moved around the house. I just laid in my bed, tired but not able to sleep.

I glanced at my clock. I was supposed to be at school in thirty minutes, but my mom told me she didn't want me going today. Beside me, my phone vibrated.

"Hello?" I said, answering it.

"Sophie what the hell is going on?!" It was Justin, obviously distraught.

"Hey," I replied in a lower voice.

"Are you okay?!" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

He sighed. I could almost picture himself running his fingers through his hair, completely out of his mind. "What the hell happened? And why is there a cop car stationed outside my house? And most importantly, are you the girl that's all over the news?"

My blood ran cold. "What?"

"Turn on Channel 12, Soph."

I threw the covers from my body and ran out of my room. My mom noticed me as I ran past the kitchen and into the living room.

"Sophie, what's wrong?" she asked, emerging from the kitchen.

I looked around for the remote and didn't answer her. The TV turned on, and I changed the channel to the news. The same woman that was covering Kimberly Wilson's story popped up on the TV.

"... another attack in the Manatee County area. This has been the second attack in the past few weeks. The FBI says they believe it's the same man who was responsible for the death of seventeen-year-old Kimberly Wilson, former varsity cheerleader at Manatee High School. He attacked another Manatee High School senior late last night. Channel 12 News has not yet spoken to the young lady, but we should have that information for you soon. The FBI has released their very first sketch of the man they believed to be responsible for all of the gruesome murders throughout the country. They have no other information on this man, other than that he is about 6'5", around one-hundred and eighty pounds, and is armed with a deadly weapon. If any more information about this man arises, Channel 12 News will be the first to bring it to you. This is Rebecca Davenport reporting for Channel 12 News."

As she was talking, the computer-generated sketch that Amber created last night popped up next to the reporter. I fell on the couch, speechless. My mom stood to the side, gaping with her hand over her mouth.

"Sophie?" Justin asked through the phone. "Sophie please tell me what happened."

I hesitated at first, fighting back the frustrated tears. I knew the FBI wanted the man's picture on the local news, but I didn't know they had that much information. I explained everything that had happened to me last night, from the time Zoey had left to when I got home and received another gift from the man. Justin was quiet, and just as I expected, he blamed himself for leaving me at home alone.

"Justin," I sighed. "It isn't your fault."

"But if I would've been there-"

"Justin," I interrupted. "Please, stop."

He was silent for a few moments, then he sighed. "I assume you're skipping school then?"

"Yeah, mom doesn't want me going anywhere today."