Chapter 23- Ricky

Chapter 23: Ricky

Those three words made my heart stop completely. She actually said it. She loves me. And I love her. I knew she would understand. I knew she was the one for me.

I put my arms around her and brought her up into a kiss. She was crying, but I knew it was happiness flowing from her. We were going to start over, forget our pasts. We would live where no one will ever find us, and live happy and free.

But there was only one thing that concerned me. The boy. He was the only one she seemed worried about right now. In a way, he did help me. She saw him, and still declared her love for me. That's how I know she's truly devoted to me. To us. To our new life together.

We stayed in that position, hugging, holding her while she cried into my shirt like I've wanted to do for many weeks now. I kissed her on the forehead and then broke the hug.

"I have to go finish dinner for us. Do you want to keep looking around? You could walk down to the beach and get some air if you want?" I suggested. She shook her head, wiping tears from her eyes.

"No, I think I just want to lay down for a little bit. Wake me when dinner is ready," she said. I nodded and guided her over to the bed. She laid down facing the window. I got the throw blanket and placed it over her. I bent down and kissed her cheek, then walked out of the room.

I walked past the kitchen, through the living room, and out the front door. I walked down the stairs and went over to the garage. I opened the door and turned on the light. The boy- Justin- blinked his eyes, trying to adjust to the light.

"Where's Sophie?!" he demanded. "What did you do to her?!"

I walked over to him and kneeled down so I was eye level with him. "She is no longer yours. She is mine. You're lucky she doesn't want me to hurt you. I would kill you now if she hadn't wished for your safety."

"Don't hurt her! If you touch her I'll kill you!" he yelled.

"How about this," I said. "If you admit she is mine, I won't hurt her. If you continue to claim her as yours like you have been doing, I'll hurt her in front of you. You'll have to watch her suffer and it would be all your fault."

His eyes widened. "Please, don't hurt her."

"I won't. But you can never have any kind of contact with Sophie again. She is mine, not yours."

"Go to hell," he said. I balled up my fist to hit him. I had almost made contact with his face until I remembered Sophie's only wish. She didn't want him to get hurt. And if I did it, she might hate me for it. And that was the last thing I wanted.

I lowered my hand and put my face inches away from his. "Sophie is mine now." I walked out the door without saying another word.