Chapter 30- Sophie

Chapter 30: Sophie

"Sophie, wake up!"

I woke up to someone shaking me awake and calling my name. "Sophie!"

I opened my eyes to see Zoey standing over me. "Hey, Zoey." I sat up and looked around. "What time is it?"

"It's a little after nine," she said. She looked at me and then looked down at my lap. "What's that?"

I looked down at what she was looking at and saw a piece of paper folded up on my lap. I picked it up and unfolded it, reading what it said.

My dearest Sophie,

I am so sorry that I hurt you. I hope you will forgive me. I visited you last night while you were sleeping. You look so beautiful while you sleep. We will be seeing each other very soon, so don't worry. I'm willing to forgive you for cutting my chest with a butcher knife, as long as you promise me that you will stay with me forever. I hope to see you very soon.

Love,

Ricky

I dropped the piece of paper and gasped. Zoey came up beside me and put a hand on my shoulder. "What's wrong?" she asked.

I didn't answer her, but she picked up the piece of paper and read it. She gritted her teeth and crumpled up the paper, throwing it into the trash can. I felt the tears coming to my eyes.

"I thought it was over," I whispered, trying to calm down.

"Sophie, it's okay. That creep won't come anywhere near you- I won't let him," Zoey said, rubbing my back.

"What's going on?"

We both looked up to see Detective White standing at the door, looking concerned.

"Detective White, he escaped. He left a note on my chest last night. He was in my room. How did he get out?" I cried, hugging myself.

"That's actually what I came to talk to you about. He stabbed the police officer that was handling him with a shard of glass last night. He's being hospitalized as we speak. As for Ricky... we don't know where his location is, or what he's planning to do next. But we do know that he still wants you. Did you say he left a note?"

I nodded. Zoey went over to the trash can and fished it out and handed it to him. He took a minute to read it, and then looked back at me. "You're being released from the hospital today, right?" he asked.

"Yeah, my mom should be here soon."

"Well, I'm escorting both you and your mother home. I am not letting you out of my sight until we catch this guy, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir," I answered.

"Sophie, is everything alright? Oh, hello Detective White. How are you?"

My mom came into the room, carrying a plastic bag with clothes in it. She walked over to me and set them on the bed. "Here are some clothes you can change into, honey."

"Thanks, Mom," I said.

"Mrs. Anderson, I'm going to need to keep watch over Sophie for a little while," said Detective White.

"Why? What's happened?"

He took a deep breath and said, "Ricky got out. He was in Sophie's hospital room last night. He left her a note saying they would meet again soon. I need to protect her."

My mom gasped, putting her hand over her mouth. She nodded to him, and then turned to me and said, "Sophie, get dressed. It's time to go home. Zoey, you should probably go home."