Chapter 29- Ricky

Chapter 29: Ricky

I watched her sleeping on the hospital bed, breathing soundly. One side of her face was completely bruised, and I blamed myself. I shouldn't have gotten rough with her. I walked over to her and stroked her hair. She stirred a bit but didn't wake up.

I looked over at the window and stared at my reflection. I looked completely different; newly shaved black hair, green contacts, and no stubble on my chin. Would she even recognize me if she saw me? Of course, she would... She loves me.

"Justin..." I heard her mumble. Justin? Why was she saying Justin's name in her sleep? She should've been saying my name. I knew she was worried about me. It took time to get here- to see her again.

~

"Alright, out of the car," the officer said, dragging me out by the collar of my shirt. I reached into my back pocket and made sure I still had it. He was pushing me into a dull grey building with no windows. Before we reached the door, I took the shard of glass out of my back pocket and stabbed the officer in the leg. He grunted, and then fell to the ground, clenching his leg. I grabbed the keys off of his belt and unlocked the handcuffs. I ran past him, throwing down the keys and handcuffs on top of him. I ran down the sidewalk and into the nearest building I could find. I saw a man walking into his apartment building. I went up to him and grabbed him by the neck.

"Hey, what are y-" he said. I cut him off by squeezing his neck.

"Shut up," I said. "Now, you are going to take me inside your house, and you are going to change my appearance, do you understand? If you don't listen to me, or do what I tell you to do, I will kill you."

He nodded slightly. I let him go, and he opened the door to his apartment. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a knife. I saw the man come back and give me a box.

"Here, feel free to do whatever you'd like," he said, handing me the box and backing away. I pointed the knife at him.

"Thank you," I said, smiling evilly. I walked past him and went into the bathroom. I dumped out the contents of the box; three different colors of contacts and a razor.

An hour later, I came out of the bathroom. The man was in his kitchen, leaning on the counter. He looked at me and seemed surprised.

"Wow, you've changed," he said, looking nervous.

"Great, now I need some clothes," I said.

"Okay, come this way," he said, cautiously passing me. We entered his room and he walked to his closet. He gave me some jeans and a faded blue sweater. I took off my bloody clothes and put the new ones on. I looked over at the man, who looked even more nervous. I walked over to him and held out my hand.

"Thank you for lending me your clothes- and changing my appearance. Thank you for cooperating," I said. He took my hand and shook it. I pulled him closer and stabbed him in the chest. He grunted, and his eyes went wide. "But I can't be sure you wouldn't tell anyone about this. Sorry."

I lowered his body to the ground and laid him down gently. I retrieved the knife from his body and wiped off the blood. I saw his car keys on the dresser, so I took them and walked out the door.

I found the car easily. I got in and drove in the direction of the hospital. I heard the police officers were taking her to the hospital. Hopefully, she'd be there- waiting for me to get her.

When I arrived at the hospital, the parking lot was almost empty. I parked in the furthest space possible, got out, and then ran inside. A nurse stopped me when I was getting on the elevator.

"I'm sorry sir, visiting hours are over today," she said.

"If you don't tell me which room Sophie Anderson is in right now, I will kill you," I told her, showing her my knife. She looked nervous, and I saw a bead of sweat run down the side of her forehead.

"Seventh floor," she whispered.

"Thank you," I said, putting the knife away. I smiled and pressed the button.

When I arrived on the seventh floor, it was deserted. No nurses were checking on patients, and no nurses were at the desk. Well, isn't this my lucky day? I searched all the rooms, walking into each one and seeing if Sophie was in them or not. I finally got to the last room in one of the halls, and I saw her sleeping soundly on her bed. She was bandaged up around her head, and she had bruises all over her arms. I stroked her arms softly, not wanting to wake her up. I wanted her to know I was here, so I decided to leave her a note. I walked out of the room and went to the front desk. I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and began writing while walking back to the room.

I left the note folded upon her chest. I sat in the chair that was right next to her bed and watched her sleep.

A few hours later, I heard a few nurses in the hallway, checking on the patients. I quietly slid inside the bathroom when one of them entered Sophie's room to check on her. It's time for me to go. It's too dangerous being seen here. When the nurse left Sophie's room and walked down the hall, I slipped out of the bathroom and out into the hall. I walked to the elevator, thankfully without being seen, and went to the first floor.

I walked outside and went to the car. I got in and tried to finger out what I was going to do next. Then I knew immediately.

I was going to Sophie's house.