Chapter 3: coffee and bets.

After many hours of working, morning became noon, and noon turned to dusk. Elizabeth and Sherlock worked hard on the case while John slept. The case was tough but every once in a while they would crack the case about an inch. Elizabeth sighed and stood up.

" I've been up for about 12 hours without sleep, I'm getting coffee. Would you like some?" Sherlock looked at her and nodded, he stood.

" I think I'll join you, It should do me good to get my mind off the case of a while. " he took off his nicotine patches. Elizabeth gave him a confused look. " what?"

" you smoke?" she asked, surprised. He shook his head.

"no, it helps me think."

" really? I have have sugar when i need to think but, that explains a lot." she chuckled.

" explains what? " his eyebrows furrowed.

" explains why you always look like this." she over exaggerated his frown and moody facial expressions. This made John laugh. Sherlock scowled at both of them. " maybe you need sugar, it might help you keep up with me." she laughed as she walked out the door, grabbing her trench coat and hat on the way out. Sherlock smiled, he had been bored with most people in this town, none could see the world like he did. That was until elizabeth ( miss. Lee as Sherlock referred to her as ) showed up, she knew everything, even more than Sherlock himself, he hated to admit it but it was true. He walked next to her as they got coffee. Sherlock got black coffee, while elizabeth got a 'chocolate meltdown' which technically wasn't coffee more like a snack. It was coffee on the bottom, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, chocolate syrup with cookie crumbs mixed in with it, more coffee, and to top it off whipped cream and chocolate chips. ( sounds gross, but is really good. ) Sherlock looked at her with a look of disapproval.

" that is not coffee." he sipped his coffee. " that is a parent of a hyperactive child's worst nightmare." Elizabeth giggled a little.

"I told you, I think better when I have sugar, and there is coffee in here, you just can't see it behind all the whipped cream and chocolate.

"You think that, contraption, will help you solve the case before me?" he laughed "I'd like to see you try." he challenged

"you don't think i'm smart do you? You think I'm just another ' ditsy red head ' " she laughed slightly.

"only half of that is true." Sherlock sighed. " you're not a 'ditsy red head' but you are not as smart as me." Elizabeth laughed at his arrogance. They crossed over a bridge.

" to prove I'm smarter than you, I want to wager a be with you. Do you accept?" she said stopping and leaned on the side of the bridge, crossing her arms over her chest. Sherlock chuckled, thinking she couldn't be serious and make a bet with him, she raised an eyebrow in challenge. He laughed, realizing she was serious. He nodded

" I accept." he smiled knowing she couldn't win. " what's the bet?" he asked curiously, she thought for a moment.

" I bet, I can convince three people to jump off the bridge ." she confidently patted the bridge.

"are you sure miss. Lee? That seems alittle dark for you. " he tried to get into her head do she would quit.

" I've done worse mr. Holmes. I've done a lot worse." she sighed. She approached man. "pardon me sir, Are you an englishman?"

" yes." the man replied.

" are you going to the stock exchange?"

"yes."

"did you know that the stock market just crashed?" Elizabeth lied.

"my god!" screamed and jumped off the bridge. Sherlock clapped for her. 3 down 2 to go. Another man passed by.

" Monsieur, are you a frenchman?"

"oui."

"are you going home to your wife?"

"oui."

"did you know she has the pox?" Elizabeth lied again.

"mon dieu!" the Frenchman cried as he jumped over the bridge. Sherlock laughed, her lies were ridiculous. Another man walked by.

" Gospodin, are a Russian?"

"da."

" did you know that it is strictly prohibited to jump off this bridge?"

" I don't give a damn!" the russian shouted as he jumped over the bridge. Sherlock looked over the side of the bridge.

"okay. You win."