Chapter 2: Worth

Fuck em girl I guess he didn't know any better
Girl that man didn't show any effort
Do all I can just to show you you're special

* * * *

"How do you do it, man?" Sam asked, shaking his head in confusion as they both watched Travis and Malia laughing and all over each other.

All of Nate's friends knew he had feelings for Malia. They knew it before Nate ever admitted it. They also knew that Malia's love for Nate wasn't just on a friendship level, they knew there was more to it. She just never admitted it. Nate and Malia were the definition of Skinny Love.

Nate ripped his gaze away from them and looked at Sam, "Do what?"

"Watch them be like that even though you love her?" Sam re-asked, sipping his drink.

Nate shrugged, "I've gotten used to it, I guess." He looked down at the table, flipping his phone in his hand.

"I couldn't do it. I'd have to get over her." John chimed in. 

Nate scoffed, "You know I've tried. I've done the whole promiscuous lifestyle. It didn't work, those feelings still haven't gone away." He looked back over at Malia who gazed lovingly at Travis who was on the phone.

Malia loved him, so much, but she knew deep down that it wasn't enough. She held onto the good times, that's why she stuck around. The first two years with Travis was amazing. They were stuck in honeymoon phase. But then things just...changed.

She didn't know if it was because of her or if he just lost feelings. She constantly blamed herself for him being distant. She didn't know what else it could be.

All the arguments, all the sleepless nights, all the aggravation, all the frustration, all the anger, was it worth it in the end?

Malia inhaled sharply as she thought of the answer, looking down at her lap in disappointment. Tears stinging the brim of her eyes as she held in a deep breath.

That answer was no.

* * * *

Malia's POV

I stood up from my seat next to Travis, quietly excusing myself and walked inside the house. I released a deep breath I didn't even know I was holding in.

Nate had invited the both of us to a little cookout with the crew. Actually, he didn't invite Travis, I brought him up and Nate reluctantly told me I could bring him. I knew he didn't like Travis, none of my friends did.

My overthinking made me emotional almost instantly, all this pain caused by Travis wasn't worth it nor will it ever be.

"Malia?" I heard Nate say quietly, closing the sliding door behind him.

I wiped away the tears that threatened to spill quickly and turned around, "Hey, Nate." I sighed, faking a smile.

"What happened? Why were you crying?" He asked.

I shook my head, "l wasn-"

"You can't lie to me. I know you, you know that." He chuckled, walking towards me, "Now foreal, tell what's wrong."

I closed my eyes and pursed my lips, "I was just overthinking like usual." I shrugged, "I'll be fin-"

"What were you thinking about?" He interrupted me, again.

"It doesn't matter, Nate."

"It does to me, I don't like seeing you upset. You know you can tell me anything." He was now directly in front of me, his facial expression soft and concerned.