Chapter 12: Last Time

Love ain't never been so close, but so far away
Like your mind is telling you to just back off
And your heart says just stay

* * * *

Malia's POV

A sad silence filled the room as I laid vertically across Nate's bed, watching him pack for tour. Tomorrow was the day, he was actually and finally leaving for his first headlining tour. No matter how happy I was for him, I couldn't help but wanna cry at the thought of not having him around.

The smile on Nate's face when he talked about tour warmed my heart, I knew this was his dream and he was achieving it but it was bittersweet. 

"Are you okay?" Nate asked, grabbing my attention, "I don't know the last time you've ever been this quiet." He forced a chuckle as he stopped packing, holding a halfway folded shirt in his hand.

I nodded, "mhm," I faintly hummed, my hand resting above my head and twirled a few curls around my fingers slowly.

Nate sighed, completely folding his shirt and placing it in his suitcase, "Ma," He began to walk slowly towards me, "look at me."

I glanced up at him, biting down on my bottom lip. He sat down beside me and looked down at me for a moment then to his nightstand. He closed his eyes, inhaling and exhaling deeply before he bent over and opened the drawer to his nightstand.

"I wasn't gonna give you this until tomorrow before I leave but," He paused, pulling out a long rectangular teal box from his nightstand.

I sat up in my spot on the bed, eyebrows lowered in confusion as I looked up at him, "Nate, what's this?" I inquired.

He pushed it towards me, "Open it and find out." He smirked, winking at me.

I chortled as I grabbed the box, folding my legs infront of me and opening it. It was a beautiful gold locket, with designs encrusted on it.

"Nate," I gasped, "It's beau-"

"Open it." He interjected, pointing at it.

I opened the beautiful gold locket and nearly teared up as I looked at the picture placed inside on one side while the other had words written in it.

"Always in my heart" 

"Nate, this picture is so old." I laughed at the old picture of us from at-least two years ago, smiling wide and engulfing each other in a tight hug.

Nate laughed and nodded, "Yeah I know, but do you remember when we took that?" He asked.

I laughed, "Yeah, we had recorded your first song and put it on soundcloud and you were so excited about the feedback," I looked up at him, "You couldn't stop talking about it."