Chapter 15: Questions

I get around, yeah I'm on my 2Pac shit
I kinda feel there's no girl I could not get
I'm not found at the function if it's not lit

* * * *

"His name is Quincy?" Janelle asked, "Sounds rich."

"He's cute, He was good company last night."

"He was alright." Adam shrugged, munching on a chip.

I rolled my eyes, "Anyway," I said loudly, "Yeah he's been texting me since this morning."

"He likes you." Janelle singsonged, "It hasn't even been a day and he's whipped." She joked.

"He's probably a player." Adam scoffed.

I sucked my teeth at his comment,  "Why you so negative about the
situation?"

"I just don't get what you see in this guy besides looks."

"Did you talk to him?" I rose my eyebrow at him with attitude.

"Well no b-"

"Exactly so you can't dislike or downgrade this guy because you, " I accentuated and pointed at him, "don't know him."

"She's right." Janelle nodded.

Adam rolled his eyes, "Whatever, when what I said ends up being true, I'll be there to tell you I told you so."

"Yo, stop killing my mood. Let me gush over a guy, it's 'bout damn time I move on."

Adam held his hands up, "Maybe you're looking in the wrong area. The guy you need may be right in front of you." He shrugged, "Just sayin'"

"Very subtle." Janelle narrowed her eyes at him.

I sighed loudly, continuing to stack the bottles on the shelf. I was slightly annoyed. I knew Adam meant nothing but the best and was clearly insinuating that he was the "guy I need".

But truth was, I didn't have any feelings toward him. I felt bad because I know he's a good guy, it's just we never had a connection on that level.

My phone ringing killed the awkward vibe rising in the room. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and slid it to answer it.

"Talk to me." I answered, now cleaning the counter.

"What are you doing tonight?" Quincy's voice asked.

"Quincy," I turned to look at Janelle who was already smirking at me, "hey. I'm actually working tonight."

"Where do you work? I'll stop by."

"I work at a club, I'll text you the address."

"I'll see you tonight, Ight? Save a dance for me."

I let out a breathy laugh, "I will."

I hung up the phone and before I could put it away, I was getting another call. Clearly I was popular at the moment.

"Talk to me." I repeated my answer to my phone.

Nate laughed, "Talk to me? That's new."

I shrugged, "I wanna switch it up. Hello is so boring and all my friends finish it with an Adele line so I'm over it."

"Well, how's your day going?" He asked.

"So far, so good. I'm getting ready for work tonight." I grabbed a few empty bottles from underneath the counter and walked them to the garbage, "How 'bout you?"