Chapter 5

The wolves all jump back scared of the sudden and very loud voice coming from the trees. I look around to see if I can find the source of the voice and Zach looks absolutely terrified.

-wait a second, I think I've heard that voice before...-

I try to find out whose voice it was but I can't quite tell. Just then I hear a crash and see a tree in the distance fall. "Sam.... What's going on?" Zach asks shivering. "I have no idea..." I reply as another as there is another crash followed by two more trees falling down, "but it seems to be quickly approaching us." The wolves start to realize this as well an there attentions have completely switched from us to the falling trees.

-I should probably check to see what's approaching us, since it knows me it hopefully is an ally-

As I try to sense the approaching beast's presence I get a large shock. "Sam it's getting really close!" Zach says worriedly as 5 more trees crash down. Only 6 more trees are separating us. "About that... It seems that the beast approaching us is actually-" I'm cut off by the last of the trees being cut down. "SAAAAAAMMMM!!!!!" The beast yells and tackles me. "Your alive, oh thank god... any injuries? Did you meet any strange people? ARE YOU OK?!?!" It yells checking me over. "It's actually just my dad..." I complete my sentence and look over at Zach who looks completely horrified. "Can you speak? Did you hit your head? How many fingers am I holding up?" My dad says worriedly and holds up 4 fingers. "24 right?" I say and giggle a bit. "Oh god it's worse than I thought..." My dad says horrified and starts to mumble something about medicine and treatment.

-ahhh he's fun to play with-

"I'm fine dad, no injuries what so ever. Anyway, this is Zach, who you probably made pee his pants by knocking all the trees down by coming here." I say pointing to him. "I didn't pee my pants!" He says and pouts a bit. Dad finally stops inspecting me and walks over to Zach. Dad straightens himself out before speaking. "Thank you for taking care of my son Zach." He says holding his hand out. "N-no problem..." Zach says stuttering a bit.

-Zach seems absolutely terrified of my dad, well it's understandable since he chopped down about half the trees in this forest.-

I hear a whimper from behind me.

-oh yeah I forgot about those guys-

I turn around to see the leader of the of the pack has been squashed by the tree. A misty aura surrounds him and then floats around my dad and looks as if it gets absorbed by my dad.

-I guess that's what happens when monsters die in this world. Maybe it's like in video games and you level up with the amount of monsters you beat! But then why didn't I get that when I beat the boar...-

I realize I was still in sensing mode from trying to figure out who the beast charging at us was.

-OH! Its the presence of the monsters you absorb, that's why I didn't notice the boar's aura!-

After seeing their leader get easily killed by my dad the wolves run away with their tails in between their legs, except for one wolf.
The wolf we had healed and had tried to protect us is still lying on the ground from the blow their leader had given it.  "Zach can I have some help here?" I yell as I run over to the wolf.  Zach runs over looking happy to have an excuse to get away from my dad, and sits by the wolf.  He checks to see if the wolf is still breathing.  "It's still alive just knocked unconscious but it looks like its leg was broken again, and my food doesn't have as powerful an effect if it's already used the same day."  He says as he conjures up some of the magically healing jerky.  As he feeds the wolf the magical jerky it immediately wakes up and starts coughing again. 

-does it really taste so bad that it will wake you even if your unconscious?-

The wolf, after done with its coughing fit, looks around as if worried the other wolves will attack him again.  "It's fine the other wolves are gone it's just us now."  The wolf looks relieved and starts to like my face again.  Its tongue really tickles so I start to laugh and my dad walks over.  "Seems you've made a new friend." my dad says sniffling as if I don't need him anymore.

-oh god he better not start crying...-

I go up and hug him so he won't cry. "Thanks for saving us!"  I say looking up at him.  My dad rubs his nose and says no problem gaining all of his self-confidence again.  "Now let's get out of this forest!" he says as he props both me and Zach on his shoulders and carries the wolf since it can't walk on his own.  He starts to run across the trail of broken trees he made from the house to where we were now, having no difficulties at all carrying all of us. 

-I really got lucky having such strong parents-

As we arrive at my house my mom walks out.  "You guys are finally back, breakfast is on the table! I have extra anyways so you should also be able to feed Michael's son over there too."  Mom says as if she didn't just leave her son the fend for himself in the woods overnight.  My dad's eyes widen at what she said.  "Wait, this is Michael's son!!!" He says looking at Zach who is still perched on his shoulder with big eyes.  "Ah... Y-yeah I am..." Zach says still nervous of my dad.  "AWESOME!!!!  You look just like your dad!!! And you must be a great cook too! You'll have to tell your dad he needs to come over sometime! And..."  My dad keeps talking excitedly to Zach about certain things while I jump of his shoulder and go over to the silver wolf. 

-thankfully he didn't get injured any further, my dad doesn't give the smoothest of rides...-

"Wait out here for a bit, I'm going to get my mom. I'm sure she knows a healing spell that will help you." I whisper to the weak wolf. He gives me a small nod in acknowledgement and then lays his head back down.

-he does not look good, I feel like he may pass out on me anytime now...-

I rush into the kitchen to find my mom washing the dishes. "Hey mom, there's this silver wolf that protected us but broke his leg in the process, could you heal him he's in a lot of pain." I ask giving her puppy eyes. "As long as you promise me one thing." She replies as if she was already expecting this.

-I'm worried if the wolf is still ok...-

"Yeah! What is it?" I ask hurriedly. "Form a contract with her." She says with a devilish grin. "Of course! Can you go heal her now?"

-I didn't really pay attention to what she said, I just wanted to get the wolf healed. I believe she said something about a contract?-

My mom, satisfied with my answer, goes outside to heal the wolf. "Make sure to eat your pancakes before they get cold or your father eats them all!" She yells before closing the door. I look behind me to find my father and Zach have already eaten about half the pancakes. "DONT EAT MY SHARE OF PANCAKES!!" I yell at them as I rush to the table to get my serving.

-I hope the promise I made with mom wasn't anything bad...-