Chapter 12

I sight and fall back onto the comfy hospital bed. My hair which is starting to get pretty long falls down onto my shoulders. I close my eyes and recall what has just happened.

-let's see what's happened... I tried to defeat the dragon by myself and couldn't, I ended up passing out and going into some sort of auto pilot in which I defeated the dragon, I regained conscious and the pain came back twice as hard, as I passed out Cana saved me, and there was a girl too!-

I snap my eyes open and turn towards the nurse. "Did a girl come here with me?" I ask. The nurse slightly tilts her head and puts a finger on her cheek. "Not that I can remember... If she was someone injured in the fight we have people searching the area, but so far it looks like everyone was saved. All the villagers mentioned a small girl who was very capable with magic saving them."

-was that her? Wait... I was the only person saving the villagers that had magic when I checked the presences...-

I face palm myself and groan.

-I was mistaken for a girl again wasn't I...-

Suddenly the nurses face comes real close to mine. "Is everything ok? Do you have a headache?" She asks concerned and I just shake my head. "I'm fine, can I have a glass of water though?" She nods and hurries out of the room. As soon as she turns the corner I look over at Cana. "Hey Cana, did you see the girl?" I whisper to her as to not wake up my dad, nor let the nurses hear. Her ears perk up at my voice and she nods. She bends her neck and points to a space in her fur that seems a bit matted. I reach over and pet her metallic fur and feel something hard and cold. I sit up and carefully untangle the object from her fur and it finally comes loose. I hold it up to the light to see what it is.

-a ring?-

I look over at Cana. "Is this from the girl?" Cana nods again. I turn the ring over my fingers, it's a pretty silver color and has engravings in it making a flowery pattern on it. I slide it onto my finger and it fits perfectly. I smile at it and I can feel comfort and happiness go through my body. I look over at Cana again and pet her head. "Thanks Cana, for carrying both of us here." I say and scratch behind her ears. She lets out a low rumbling sound almost like a cat. I pause my petting for a moment

-did she just purr? A giant wolf with a metallic fur coat just purred like a cat?-

I sigh and continue petting her while she happily lays on the floor and purrs.

-guess I should get used to these kinda things happening in this world.-

I look around the room again, the only people here are me and my dad and a few chairs for visitors.  I slide myself off the bed and stand up.  My legs feel wobbly and almost give out on me but I grab the wall to stabilize myself.  I look over my body and see no wounds.

-maybe I'm just sore from fighting-

I take a step towards the door but my legs give out beneath me and I start to fall face forward.  I instinctively close my eyes bracing for impact on the floor but instead I fall face first into a mound of fur.  I stabilize myself again and look up to see Cana next to me and supporting my weight.  "Thanks again Cana."  She nuzzles me with her nose now the size of my palm and puts my arm over her body.

-ha, I'm still not used to Cana being as big as a grizzly bear-

"I think I've got it now, I just fell because I stood up too fast."  I lie to her with a smile.
She gives me a concerned look then nods and backs away a bit.  I place me hand on her head and ruffle her fur a bit.  "I'll be right back, I'm just going to look around for a bit."  I tell her and she looks up at me and whimpers.  "I'll be fine, don't worry!"  I give her a convincing smile and walk out of the room trying my hardest not to wobble and fall again.  Once out of the room I take the fastest route to the exit and step outside.  The breeze hits me and I breathe in the fresh air.