Chapter 26

There's a loud thud each time Cana's paws hit the ground, and I can feel the impact reverberate in my legs.

I can feel Cana's happiness go through me, mixing with my own.  I find myself laughing out loud with excitement.

-well, I guess since in this world I am a child I can act childish without an excuse now-

Cana swerves to the left to dodge a tree branch and I feel the air movement change around me.

I close my eyes for a moment and feel the wind hit my face.  I can tell every movement that Cana makes, every step,  each time she takes a breath, every turn she makes.

I laugh a little louder and open my eyes.

-why did I let myself miss all of this-

I look over to my left at a sea of green passing by.  I focus on a couple of trees as they pass by.  Their leaves sway with our passing and then bend back to their original position like rubber. 

I glance behind us and see a cloud of leaves rising as Cana creates a new air current for them to follow. 

-In my defense, humans did destroy or alter every remaining forest so even if I did actually go outside the air would never be this clear and the trees wouldn't be this healthy.-

I hear another sound other than the thudding of Cana's paws and I concentrate on it for a moment to figure out what it is.  I realize that the sound is rushing water hitting rocks and crashing into the ground. 

It's a river.  My grip on Cana's fur tightens.  It's not a small one either.

~hey Cana, think you'd be able to jump it?~

She gives a little snort and I feel her start to go even faster.

-haha, why did I even bother asking?  Of course she can, if not then she'll at least try-

The sound of rushing water gets louder and louder until we can finally see it too.  I look around at the riverbank and see a large rock protruding of the side of the river.  I give Cana's fur a little tug in the direction and she looks over and sees the same rock that I saw.

She starts to veer off towards the rock but doesn't slow down.  The smile on my face doesn't fade and I lean my body foward. 

Her body lurches forward as she kicks of the ground towards the protruding rock, and then my body is pressed into her back as she uses the rock as her paws hit the rock and she wall runs off it to increase her speed.

As her paws touch the other side of the river I relax my grip a bit and straighten myself out.

I reach out to the top of her head and ruffle her fur.  "You could've reached the other side on the first jump you little show off!"  I tease her.  She reaches her neck back and licks my face.  I laugh and rub in between her ears.  I feel a wave of mischievousness rush through her and I stop petting Cana. 

"Don't you da-" I start but am cut off by Cana sitting down causing me to slide off her back and into the river.  My head goes under water but I quickly resurface and gasp for air.  Cana lets out a series of barks that sounds an awful lot like laughter. 

I struggle to keep my head above water but then I get an idea.  I grab onto a nearby rock and take off my limiter. I feel it get easier to stay afloat and as the water hits me it doesn't push me back even the slightest bit. 

"Hey Cana, wanna join me?"  I ask and her barks of laughter immediately stop as she knows what I'm about to do. 

I smirk and all of a sudden a completely random not wind element caused gust of wind come that just happens to be strong and directed directly at Cana knocks her into the river along with me. 

I burst into laughter as Cana resurfaces and paddles over to one of the rocks in the river.  She glares over at me and uses her tail to create a wave of water that spa lashes into me.  I close my eyes at the moment of impacts but it gets up my nose and I start coughing and trying to get it out of my nose.  But not before I send a wave straight back at her with the water element. 

We continue sending waves of water at each other while trying to get out of the water and trying to prevent the other from getting out of the water. After a few hours of this we reach a truce and both climb out of the water together. 

As I use a bit of wind element and fire element as a blow drier for my clothes Cana moves up close behind me, still dripping wet for the river.  I glance back over at her.

"Do you want me to blow dry you too?"  I ask her and she shakes her head but I can't help to see she still has a smirk on her face.  My eyes widen as I realize what she's about to do and I start too back up but it's too late. 

Cana shakes her fur and water droplets go everywhere and soak my just dried clothes and hair.    I look down at my now soaked clothes and then back up at Cana. 

"Really?"  I ask but she just barks with laughter and runs off into the clearing that I had used for training.  I sigh and reblowdry myself while also walking towards the clearing. 

-didn't realize that the hospital was near a river, and we got here pretty fast.-

Once I am fully dried I put back on my limiter and feel everything get much harder to do and even gravity seems to increase.

-when I don't have my limiter on I feel like a player that just got access to all the cheat codes but has no idea what to do with them-

As I walk into the clearing I see my new roommate looking at full sized Cana with wide eyes. 

-shit-