2

As June turned into July, Harry and his friends were busier than ever. They wanted to be able to help in this war, and knew they'd need as much training as they could get.

A few weeks after the end of term, Harry met with Fred and George, and gave them two medallions, just like the ones the rest of his friends had. He explained them to the twins, who were grateful for the gift, and promised to never take them off. Both commended him on the magic involved, and agreed that such a device would come in handy.

They told Harry they would have something to present to the group at their next meeting, but didn't want to spoil the surprise, so they refused to give him any more hints.

Harry just rolled his eyes and left their shop, pulling his hood up on his cloak to avoid any unwanted attention as he headed down the Alley to Gringotts. He had an appointment with Sharptooth, and he didn't want to be late.

As was pre-arranged, he met Ginny in the lobby, and together, they headed towards an open teller.

Soon enough, Griphook was showing them to Sharptooth's office, and on the Goblin's welcoming gesture, the two teenagers took a seat.

Harry smiled courteously. "Thank you for meeting with us, Sharptooth. I know my letter was a little vague, but I didn't feel comfortable putting what I wanted to talk about in writing."

Sharptooth frowned minutely, his curiosity piqued despite his best effort. "I will admit that my interest was grabbed by the lack of information. However, I have worked with the Potter Family long enough to trust that your reasons were sound. What can I help you with?"

Harry smiled, relieved that Sharptooth was being understanding, and started talking. "What does the Goblin race know about horcruxes?"

Sharptooth leaned back slightly, startled. "That is not a word I hear from wizards very often," he said. His expression was neutral, but the tone of his voice made it quite clear to Harry and Ginny that he was shaken. "We call them vessels, because they are used to hold a portion of a witch or wizard's soul. Do you believe the Dark Lord has created such an object?"

"No," Ginny replied calmly. "We believe he created several."

Now Sharptooth looked distinctly rattled. "We have seen such dark objects before. Many of our Curse Breakers have come across these vessels in the course of their work. The idea of making one is heinous, but to split ones soul multiple times..." he shook his head. "Such a soul would be unstable, and more likely to shatter. The Dark Lord may have thought that multiple vessels would give him more insurance, but the soul remaining in his body would be all the more weak." He looked sharply at Harry. "Do not mistake me; magically, he would be as strong as ever, but if you were to find the right leverage point, he wouldn't stand a chance. It's like boulders." The teenagers looked confused, so Sharptooth elaborated. "They appear strong, but when you find the right crevasse, you can shatter it into pieces."

Harry nodded, looking intrigued. "Thank you, Sharptooth. That's an insight we hadn't really thought about."

Sharptooth inclined his head. "I am grateful to you, Harry, for bringing this information to the Goblin race. Your Ministry has a habit of not sharing much pertinent information with us. It has gotten better, since Minister Bones took office, but I am glad to not have to wait to learn of this information. Now," he straightened up, peering intensely at the teenagers. "I am certain that you did not come here simply to inform me of the situation. There is more, isn't there."

Harry sighed and nodded ruefully. "Unfortunately, Sharptooth, you're right. I wish it was that simple, but it's not." He shared a look with Ginny, before he continued. "We've come up with a... theory, I guess you could call it, but we can't test it without your help."