Epilogue

NINETEEN YEARS LATER:

The end of summer came extraordinarily quickly this year. Indeed, for the family winding its way quickly through the masses of muggles at the train station in London, it seemed as if they had merely closed their eyes in June, and woken up in September.

Perhaps that was because this school year was a year of firsts and lasts.

Harry Potter smiled fondly at his son, while his youngest daughter clutched his hand tighter.

"Daddy, what if I'm not sorted at all?" Lily Luna Potter whispered, as her mother, Ginny Potter, gestured for her big brother James to go through the barrier first.

Harry looked down at his bright young girl. "I have every confidence you'll be sorted, Lily," he said comfortingly. "Just last week you turned James' hair green because he took away your Potions textbook. Remember?"

Indeed, Lily did remember, it was just so nerve-wracking. She had watched her older siblings take this trip for years, and now, finally, it was her turn.

Harry squeezed her hand reassuringly. "It's all right to be nervous, Lily. I know I was."

Lily looked comforted by that fact, as Ginny called their attention back to the magical barrier hiding Platform Nine and Three Quarters from view.

"Tori, Ronnie, you two go through together," she instructed. "We'll be right behind you."

The twins, Victoria Hermione Potter and Veronica Susan Potter, nodded as one and headed towards the barrier at a brisk walk.

With one last glance at her husband and youngest daughter, Ginny followed the twins. Harry kept his grip on Lily's hand as he guided her through right behind the rest of their family.

Lily closed her eyes as they drew closer, waiting for the crash that never happened. She had made this journey many times before, but it just seemed so much more real, now that she would be getting on the train as well.

When she opened her eyes again, they were on the other side. All around them students and parents were talking, laughing, yelling, or searching for friends they hadn't seen all summer. She grinned up at her father, who smiled back proudly.

"Come on," he said, tugging her forward. "Let's find you all a good compartment."

They walked along the train for a few minutes before finding several empty compartments, and Harry helped Lily get her trunk and new tawny owl - a congratulatory present from Ginny and Harry for getting her Hogwarts acceptance letter - stowed in one of them, before they headed back out onto the platform to wait for the others to show up. Harry made sure to ward off the block of compartments, knowing that the kids would all want to sit near each other, and there were quite a few of them.

Lily was peering around the platform nervously. "Where are they?" she asked worriedly. "Shouldn't they be here by now?"

Ginny smiled comfortingly. "Don't worry, dear, it's still early. They'll be here."

"Hey mum, look who we found!" The twins were back, and dragging with them Ron and Hermione's children, Duncan and Juliet.

Harry and Ginny smiled and greeted their niece and nephew. "You two looking forward to the school year?" Harry asked, glancing behind the pair for their parents, who were making their way in the same direction, albeit at a slower pace.

Duncan nodded eagerly. "I can't wait to get back to Arithmancy," he said, beaming at his godfather. "And Potions, and Transfiguration, and -"

"We get it, you're a nerd," Juliet glared at him. "I can't wait until Quidditch tryouts," she grinned at her aunt and uncle.