6

When Harry and Ginny returned to McGonagall Castle, Neville was waiting for them in the library. He had gotten out some schoolbooks, and was working on their Transfiguration summer homework, but eagerly put it aside when the couple entered.

"Everything all right?" he asked, taking note of their expressions. They looked furious, but trying hard to hide it.

Harry took a deep breath and forced himself to relax. "Yeah, it's just been a long day, and it's only noon. Sharptooth says the Council approved the request to make a forgery of Gryffindor's Sword. He'll let us know when it's done."

Neville nodded. "That's good. In the mean time," he held out the pouch containing Hufflepuff's cup, "here's this. I know you have a safe place for these."

Harry took the box. "Thanks, Nev. You want to get something to eat? Then I might join you. Aunt Minerva would kill me if she learned that I haven't even started the Transfiguration homework yet."

Ginny chuckled, and the trio made their way down to the kitchen.

Over lunch, Neville told them that he was still looking for information on the Gaunt family to see if they could narrow down a location on the shack. They were all frustrated that they had only been out searching once, but understood why Sirius and Minerva were being cautious. Besides, it really wasn't very productive to just go out and scour the countryside on the off chance that they would stumble across the right location.

By the time Neville and Ginny had to go home for supper, the two soon to be seventh years had finished their Transfiguration work and made a decent start on Potions - the last subject Harry had to complete for his summer homework, and second to last for Neville, who still needed to finish his Charms work.

All in all, and despite the emotional roller coaster that he had been on that morning, Harry felt like it had been a very productive day.

XXX

As August continued to pass, Harry was struck by the realization that this was the last time he would set his schedule by the departure of the Hogwarts Express. Was this really his last year of school?

Yes, Ginny answered his thoughts, glancing up from the book she had been reading.

Harry looked over and rolled his eyes. "It was rhetorical, Gin."

Ginny smirked. "I know, I just thought I'd answer anyway."

Harry sighed. "It just seems so surreal. I remember my first trip on the Express. I was terrified. And now? I'm on the Quidditch team, Head Boy, more friends than I ever had before Hogwarts. And the most amazing wife ever."

Ginny beamed and leaned over to give him a kiss. "You're pretty amazing too, Harry. And I sort of know how you feel. My seventh year is going to be so lonely. Why did I have to make friends with so many people older than me?"

Harry pulled her to his side. "We'll still be there. We'll visit every Hogsmeade weekend, and you'll see us at holidays."

"I know," Ginny replied. "But it won't be the same."

Harry didn't say anything, because he knew she was right.

The next few days saw even more Death Eater attacks, though thankfully, the listening device that Snape had finally managed to plant in the Malfoy Manor dining room had given them enough warning, so they were able to avoid any casualties. The device had been working well for the couple of weeks since it had been planted, and they had managed to thwart several of Voldemort's plans. Unfortunately, Snape had informed them that the Dark Lord was becoming suspicious, so they needed to use caution.